Thread: End Mill in place of spriral up-cut Router Bits

End Mill in place of spriral up-cut Router Bits

Hello all,

I have solid carbide 3/8" upcut bits for mortising, etc. I recall reading somewhere that End Mill "bits" are exactly the same deal, but for way less $$$.

Experienced comments please?

Thank you

I have lots of end mills left over from my days of being a tool maker. I use 'em they are great.

They are not exactly the same. Woodcutting spirals evolved from metalworking as did the CNC routers now used. Woodcutting spirals are a different carbide and have different relief angles. That being said, in a handheld operation most users cannot tell the difference.
    Scott
    Scott's Sharpening Service
    Glendale, AZ

I have a Porter Cable 552 pocket cutter that uses a 3/8" down cut spiral router bit with a 1/2" shank. I read that that a 2 flute end mill would work better and cost less to replace. Has anyone had any experience with this or know of somewhere I can buy such a bit? Thanks, Jim
    I am not what I want to be.
    I am not what I hope to be.
    But by the grace of God, I am not what I was.

I haven't used one in a pocket cutter, but I've used 2-flute and 4-flute plenty in a router. 4-flute is useful for edge jointing too. Enco is a good source for fairly low cost.

Pete

Pete

I have used 1/4" endmills in my plane making for years. I now use them in my cnc router. they are cheap and work well. far stronger then the ones made for a router.
    but I wonder I now use these http://www.centuriontools.com/index....05519234587759 since if I use a endmill type cutter I usually use a downcut. I have not tried one in a handheld router but they should be fine.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

how about length... I would like to find a 1/4 or 3/8 bit for mortising that is at least 1.5 inches long. I have not been able to find such in a router bit.

would I have better luck looking for end mill bits with this length.

Howie

1.25 is about as long as you will get the cutting length. but I cut 1.55 deep with them. the total length is about 3" it's better to sue 3/8" if you can to keep bit flex down.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McCarty View Post
    I have a Porter Cable 552 pocket cutter that uses a 3/8" down cut spiral router bit with a 1/2" shank. I read that that a 2 flute end mill would work better and cost less to replace. Has anyone had any experience with this or know of somewhere I can buy such a bit? Thanks, Jim
    You will need to pick up a 3/8 collet. The most common end mill used in that application is a roughing one. Make sure you match the 2-1/2" overall length. MSC, Grainger and Enco online or any supply house for metal working. Southeast tool has a carbide version that can be picked up at any of their dealers.
    Scott
    Scott's Sharpening Service
    Glendale, AZ

The only spiral bits that I use are end mills. I have many different sizes. I have bought all of them off EBAY. The latest one that I bought was a 3/4" diameter with a 1/2" shaft.

These end mills are inexpensive compared to "router bits". I try to get 2-flute end mills but 4-flute also works. It is also easy to find long bits. Short bits are sometimes more difficut to find. They are available in both HSS and Carbide.

Here are some examples of sales going on now at EBAY. Item # 270226518193, # 360038573206

Search for "endmill" as well as "end mill".

The shaft on most endmills is the same as the cutting diameter so in some cases you may need to buy an adapter. Here is the source that I have used. http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops..._bearings.html
    Last edited by Ralph Barhorst; 04-07-2008 at 10:38 AM.
    Tipp City, Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Whiting View Post
    You will need to pick up a 3/8 collet. The most common end mill used in that application is a roughing one. Make sure you match the 2-1/2" overall length. MSC, Grainger and Enco online or any supply house for metal working. Southeast tool has a carbide version that can be picked up at any of their dealers.
    here you go 3/8" with a 1/2" shaft
    http://tinyurl.com/4syb5f
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

Would not get too crazy about spirals (see no.12), whether fast or slo spiral, up, down, compression, long, short, skinny or whatever, for your safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Whiting View Post
    I picked up a 3/8" collet and a 3 flute roughing endmill and all I can say is WOW! It cuts like a hot knife through butter and is much quieter than carbide bit that PC provides with the pocket cutter. The mill was only $28 and I can see where end mills and other metal working cutters would be the way to go in router tables, and other fixed router situations. There are also many sizes and configurations. Thanks guys for the tip.
    I am not what I want to be.
    I am not what I hope to be.
    But by the grace of God, I am not what I was.

rougher's are nice. though after cutting a lot of tropical woods I find a down spiral cuts cleaner and more accurately. but thats on purpleheart and such noise wise on my cnc I have not found much of any difference between straight rougher down or upcut they are all noisy.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing