Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DC-Does anyone exhaust to the outside??

DC-Does anyone exhaust to the outside??

I posted a similar thread a couple weeks ago, but got no response. I want to install a DC system, but don't want to have a cyclone or filter system. I just want to exhaust to the outside. I need some thoughts from others. Thanks.

Along time ago I saw a plan whereas a woodworker made a "chip box" outside and just had a small 1 or 1 1/2 hp portable dust collector inside that would blow the chips and wood-dust into this box. The box was big enough that he would open it up and just dig the residue out. But, he did have a return air pipe with a filter on it to blow the air back into the shop.
    (I just did a quick internet search and nothing came up) But, it was a pretty simple setup with just a big 4 x 8 x 4 wooden box outside with a pipe running inside the shop that had a small blower on the inside.
    It's a biiiig mistake to allow any mechanical object to realize that you are in a hurry.

Blog Entries
    I've heard of people exhausting DC systems outside. In a warm climate this may be a good idea. In a cold climate you would exhaust all your heat outside in no time. A 1,000 cfm DC would empty a 20 x 20 x 10 shop in about four minutes. You will have to let air into the shop from somewhere outside to make up the difference and that air will be the outside temperature. Unless you get your heat for free or don't plan on using the DC a lot, I would rethink your plan.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

James,

You may have been thinking about me, I exhaust my workshop dust collection to the outside in a plywood box and I have the same setup at Christopher Newport University in our sign shop. At CNU I haven't had to empty the box yet, there are only about four inches of chips in the box after 12 months of use but we make small signs mostly and the chips are generally very small.

In my shop the chip volume is much heavier becaise I own a planner along with my CNC router, the planner produces ten times the chips as my router does. I don't use bags or any filters, the exhaust pipe from my DC goes right through the wall to the chip box and there is no return air. I know that the math would indicate that I should be losing a huge amount of heat but it doesn't work that way in reality.

Of course the weather here in Eastern Virginia isn't anything like upstate New York or the Dakota's with winter temps averaging in the forties during the day but even when we experience temperatures in the 20's I don't see much heat loss when I run my DC for long periods of time. My CNC router will run between 10 minutes to seven hours at a time depending on the job with the DC running the entire time so you can see that I run my DC more than most.

What I don't see is the really fine dust in the air, this is the result of an almost zero back pressure so my less expensive dust collector does the job of a larger machine. The dust that ends up outside is not in my shop where I would be breathing it all day. I don't have to be constantly emptying bags or have to wear a mask to dump them, nor worry about the bags filling up and my machine performance declining.

For many years when I was only working with wood I just blew the chips outside and didn't use a chipbox. Now I am using a lot of Corian which will never bio-degrade so I am back to using chip boxes in both shops. My home shop is located in a rural area but our sign shop at CNU is in a neighborhood at the edge of the University. The CNU chip box is located just a few feet from a walking path that hundreds of students use every day. They don't even realize it is there.

I expect it would be easy to design a return air pipe and filter the air return but I honestly don't see the need. It woud probably cost me more in filter media than I lose in shop heat.

John, I posted some pictures of the CNU setup here about a year ago.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 02-18-2008 at 9:17 AM.

I used to blow my planer shavings into a van type trailer while planing. The trailer sat outside and most days we would blow approximately 280 Cu Ft of shavings into the trailer. That was an 8" pipe removing air from the shop. It definitely lowered the temperature some, but I used wood for heat, so it wasn't that big of a concern. It stayed comfortable enough for a light jacket even in very cold weather. I did use a membrane made of a heavy felt over the back of the trailer so the air could escape without lots of dust in it.

John
    I'm down in E Texas and have had my exhuast going outside for years, but I do live out in the piney woods not intown.Now building cabinets almost exclusively i have a EZ-Router, PanelmasterIII, Woodmaster planer and 38" drum sander plus all the usual tools just a couple of times a year I use the tractor to spread the shavings, I have not noticed much change in heated air temp during the winter, but I use a remote clipped to my belt and only turn on the collector when it's needed.
    good luck on what ever you decide.

Bryan W

When I was shopping for DC here in sunny Maine I was warned that exhausting outside would interfere with my oil furnace draft in my basement shop. I would assume the same would happen with wood or gas fired heat if everything is in one fairly airtight area.

In areas where you have to heat a lot....ie..cold climates...it's my understanding you should have a return duct so that you don't pull a negative atmosphere in the shop....could pull carbonmonoxide / heat source exhaust gases back into the shop.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I currently have my cyclone in a separate room from my shop with return air fed through a 2'x4' filter in the wall. I was thinking of changing the exhaust to outside but have pretty much decided against it based on recent measurements with the air quality monitor from Dylos. It seems the air in my shop is generally cleaner than the outside air so exhausting it outside and sucking in relatively dirty air doesn't seem to offer much of an advantage.

The only advantage I can see is the lower back pressure mentioned by Keith above. If your DC system is marginal you can gain potentially reduce static pressure losses by 1-2" by eliminating the filter.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    James,

You may have been thinking about me, <snip>.
    Wow, it's neat that the forum that I was talking about was right here on Sawmill Creek!!

I'll have to do a search on here to see if I can find the post again. What would be some good key words to search on. I tried "chip box" and got nothing.
    Jim
    It's a biiiig mistake to allow any mechanical object to realize that you are in a hurry.

My blower is outside also.
    I do not notice a heat loss. I use wood heat.
    Last edited by Steve Clardy; 02-18-2008 at 4:09 PM. Reason: spelling

When I first heard about exhausting the DC outside, I thought it would be a neat idea. After further research, it's probably more bother than its worth for my climate. For one thing, I'd need to install an outside air return vent to avoid having a negative pressure inside the house (relative to outside). A negative pressure would adversely effect the DC performance and could potentially pull exhaust gases into the house from my gas hot water heater and gas furnace.

Since my inside air is usually either warmer or colder than the outside air, I would need to install a heat exchanger system as part of the air exhaust / return setup. Such an air heat exchanger can be found here. Houses are being built so tightly now that it is sometimes recommended that a heat exchange system be installed to ensure adequate ventilation of indoor contaminants. Such a system could be made to work well with a DC, but it would cost something and take some time to design and build. I think I'll settle for a 1 micron bag or cannister exhausted inside for now.

Dave

Thanks guys for all the input. My shop is in a separate insulated metal building. I presently have baseboard heat, but plan to put in a wood stove soon as I can find a good deal on one.

Like Bryan, I live in the country, so I can let the pile accumulate for a while before spreading it with a tractor. I like the sound of the remote.

Keith, Steve and Bryan, what kind of blowers do you guys use. The salesman for Oneida emailed me a suggestion for a 3hp, 1700 cfm, 8" inlet, but the price was $629, just for the blower. Seems a person ought to be able to do better than that??

Are yours wired 220v, and what kind of remote did you get Bryan?

Mine is a 4hp 3500 cfm blower I converted off of a 4-bag unit.
    Did some modifications on it, and added a 13.5 cincinati fan.