Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What did I do?

What did I do?

Ok, I made this and I have no idea what it is. It's about 3.25" high x 3", and the hollow is 2.75" deep. So I'm hoping somebody can tell me what it is. Bonus points if you can guess what kind of wood it is. I'll tell this much: I cut it down in my yard in central Ohio. (hint: not exotic)

Lux
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

Blog Entries
    Not sure of the wood.

But the turning looks like an old Coca-Cola glass thats missing some of the bottom. lol
    Remember, you are NOT your post count.
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~
    "The GOLDStandard since 1921"
    Graphtec CE5000-60, FlexiSIGN PRO 8.6v2, Refine MH871,
    Photoshop CS5 Extended, Illustrator CS5, CorelDRAW X4, Wacom Intuos3 6x11, Wacom Cintiq, Dual 24" LCD's on MoView Stand, GraphixCALC Pro 2.0.4, QuickBooks 2010, Grain Fraim.

Hey, I got one of those! (I didn't know what it was either)
    Mike

It's a weighted bottomed vase to be used with dry flower or artificial flower arangements. Put some florist's foam inside it to stick the artificial flowers in it. Sign it.......date it......Give to the LOYL.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I don't think you're going to get a good pint in that thing. The wood and shape is nice though.
    Raymond Overman
    Happiness is a warm chainsaw

"Do not wait, the time will never be just right. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command. Better tools will be found as you go along." Napolean Hill

Well, I'd say it's a nice little vase and the wood looks like it could be sumac.

Well, from the grain, I'd guess cherry; from the color, I'd say maybe boxelder?????
    Last edited by Nathan Hawkes; 02-25-2008 at 12:43 AM.

hollow form, apple.

but what do I know

Blog Entries
    A nice shape, the wood maybe Bradford Pear, or Dog wood maybe.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf

Don't know the wood but it is a nice looking flower vase or pencil holder.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hubl View Post
    Not sure of the wood.

But the turning looks like an old Coca-Cola glass thats missing some of the bottom. lol
    That's Where I've seen this shape!! I new it was familiar, but I couldn't place it.

We had a set of 4 when I was a kid. Probably free with a fill up at $.49/gallon. Of course that LeSabre held a lot of gas. Hey, how'd I end up on Memory Lane?

Lux
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

Lilac???

Although it's pretty hard to find a piece of lilac that big that hasn't cracked. I would use it as a pencil cup.
    Bob

Whatever it is, its really nice. Great job here, and the form really shows off the figure in that wood! Cool!

So the consensus is hat I have made a small vase. Good to know.

The wood is... Bush Honeysuckle. It is a noxious weed/shrub that is trying to take over the midwest. I have 3 acres with about 1/3 of it covered in this stuff. So I started a hack and poison program 2 years ago.

I started turning a year ago and wanted some free wood to practice on, so I tried the Bush Honeysuckle. It turns great green, but is very prone to checking. I started by turning natural-edge mushrooms as practice. They proved to be very popular, so I keep making them.

But when I found this piece with a bend and twist in it I thought I should try something different.
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

I would've never guessed. I almost guessed poison ivy, actually. I figured it was something really unusual since you made a big deal about it.