Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Share your method of storing turning tools,chucks, etc?

Try a 5 gallon plastic bucket with PVC pipe in it to store lathe tools. When needed you have them in a container with a handle on it. Maybe several buckets so the tools can be seperated into BOWL,SPENDLE, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Underwood View Post
    I once spent 30 minutes looking for a tool I had in my hand the whole time.
    I hate to tell you this, but that's not an organization problem. And it gets worse with age.
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

Here's mine:

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Underwood View Post
    I keep mine in a pile on the workbench. That way I never get bored...

I once spent 30 minutes looking for a tool I had in my hand the whole time. I only found it because I finally went to pick something up to look under it and had to have both hands.

I did almost the same thing looking for a drill chuck to set the depth to hollow a couple blanks. I looked under the lathe, under my cabinets, & went crazy thinking that it'd rolled out of the shed onto the ground outside. Turned out it was mounted in the tailstock already. I hadn't put it away the last time I used it!!!! It ended up being a help, really. I cleaned up a couple piles of blanks & cutoffs that had been bothering me for a couple weeks!!

Bob - Very nice and clever!

Converted Gurneys...

I made the A-Frame rolling tool rack out of an Ambulance Gurney that was tossed on the metal pile at the landfill. A frame is made from pine 2Xs and pegboard. This is an older photo... it has modified fishing rod holders and now has some babyfood jarlids to keep some more tools standing on the lower right. The backside holds my bowl steady and spindle steady, coring tools and such, and the hollowing rig is inside at the bottom. My chucks and other attachments are kept on the top.
    The little rolling cart is also from a shortened gurney. I keep it next to me on whatever side of the lathe I'm on, for the tools I'm currently using. The large wheels make it travel easy over shavings.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Allen Neighbors; 02-26-2008 at 11:18 PM.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.