As a gift several years ago I was given a SkillSaw XShop TS. While this has served it's purpose and did aided me in building some shelves and pieces for the garage my passion for wood working has since outgrown this piece of equipment. Since I've been trying to do more in the shop a few things have become apparent in regards to safety.

- I never really understood the importance of a DC system until now. The last two weekend have been spent jointing, planing, and sanding. It feel likes I've smoked a couple packs of cigarettes. I know this cannot be good for my long term health and the DC needs to be an immediate purchase (Griz G1029Z).

- I need a bigger TS to safely work on larger projects. Let me explain.... Saying the TS that I have now does not have a big enough table top is an understatement. The top is not flat. The fence in not accurate. The miter slots are not a standards size and therefore very difficult to make any jigs.

I have been doing allot of research and I have narrowed the choices down to the Grizzly G1023SLX and the Sawstop. I know these are in very different price points and I've also read enough of threads in here so I do not want to argue the merits of the ST technology. My questions are really surrounding the riving knife.

From my understand a blade guard serves two functions. First it has a "hood" that covers the blade to prevent hands from touching the it. Secondly, does it not also serve as a riving knife?
If so then I see the only advantage of having the riving knife is that it rides with the blade and is there even when the blade guard is removed. Please educate me if I'm misunderstanding this point.

I spoke with Grizzly last night and they explained that there is not an option to get a riving knife on this saw. They also explained that contrary to rumors posted in forums, there is no law or requirement coming that dictates all saw will have to come with a riving knife.

I really like the Sawstop but the price is a hang up. The Grizzly I could purchase now but I would have to wait for the funds for the ST. Has anyone had the experience of buying a Griz as an interim solution and selling it a few years later for an upgrade?
If so how do they hold their value, assuming they are in good condition.

I have great respect for the tablesaw and do know that any saw can be safe if used properly. I would appreciate some education on the safety values of tablesaw with riving knifes versus without.