Thread: Woodworking magazines

Woodworking magazines

Hi Folks,
    I hope it is ok to ask this question as I know it pops up from time to time.

I currently read Shop Notes and Woodsmith. My Woodsmith subscription is runnning out and I was thinking of changing to something new.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I read the magazines for both ideas and entertainment.

Thanks,
    Izzy

I get both of those and Wood Magazine. I buy a few other off the shelf from time to time and keep flirting with subscribing to Popular WW. Maybe instead of subscribing to something new, set you up a jar for your spare change and buy a FWW DVD when you have the cash...
    Last edited by Jerome Hanby; 12-17-2009 at 4:28 PM. Reason: more info

There was a thread just a few days ago several pages long. Do a search "Latest issue of Woodworking Magazine". You might find it very interesting.

I find the two you are getting to be a little basic. I much prefer Fine Woodworking, but I have to admit that over the past 5-10 years their content has simplified a bit too.

Do you find that you are looking for plans, techniques, or design inspiration. 30 years ago I found ever issue of most magazines taught me things. Now 30 years later I'm lucky pick up something new. But, I do get design inspiration, and I find Fine Woodworking, and oddly architecture magazines, to be of most interest now

Popular WWing seems to have fewer ads and more projects.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I have subscribed to

Woodsmith
    popular WW
    woodworkers journal
    fine wood working
    and
    American wood worker

And i have many copies of each. as well as some shop notes and Wood magazines I've picked up here and there.

I like to read, especially about things I do (or wish I could do better)

Woodsmith was my least favorite. I wouldn't throw it away or put it down harshly but There doesn't seem to be that much to it from what I see.

I like all of the rest.

If I was forced to pick my top 2

they would be American WW and fine ww.

Look on ebay. You can find woodworking magazine collections. I bought 3 years worth of Fine ww (99-02) for about a buck a piece. All in excellent condition. Try that and you will not only have plenty of great reading but can see what the magazine is like at a fraction of the cost.

I have subscribed to the same journals as Keith at various times and agree with his two top picks.

Fine Woodworking, Popular Woodworking, and Woodworking are my top choices.

I've subscribed to Wood, Woodsmith, Shopnotes, Woodworker's Journal, Woodcraft Magazine. They were all better than a poke in the eye with a burnt stick, but I prefer the other three.

Taunton used to have a fantastic magazine called fine furniture (or something like that). They showed interesting designs and construction details, but without step by step instructions. Unfortunately, it disappeared some years back. Woodworks is another magazine that seemed to cater to the same audience, and it died recently and is trying to resurrect itself. I've never seen that one, but there are some quite interesting articles from it on the web.

But which magazines are best will depend on what you like and want to learn. Take a look at their websites, or the magazines from a bookstore, library, or order a copy or two. Maybe go through lists of back issues to find a topic that interests you and order that back issue.

Thanks for everyone's input. What I am mostly looking for is technique and how to stuff. I also find equipment reviews interesting.