Thread: To: Senators John Warner and George Allen

To: Senators John Warner and George Allen

March 15, 2004
    Senator John Warner
    Senator George Allen
    United States Senate
    Washington, DC

Dear Senators:

The Freedom Pens Project is a volunteer effort spearheaded by the members of SawMill Creek Woodworkers Forums to provide custom hand-crafted writing pens to American servicemen and women overseas. Every Freedom Pen that is delivered will serve as a constant reminder to our troops that they are not alone and will have our continued support until every one of them returns home.

Freedom Pens are being made by individual woodworkers everywhere--from small towns to our largest cities. Amateur woodworkers are donating their time, talent and personal funds to create custom pens as a symbol of their support for our military men and women. As of today, March 15, 2004, 1069 pens have been received and 567 pens have been delivered to Fort Eustis Army Post in Newport News Virginia and shipped to the Middle East.

We believe we can ship over 20,000 pens this year, however our target number is relative to the number of woodworkers who are willing to participate. Monetary donations will be necessary but we can produce hand-crafted pens at a very low cost since all of our labor is a volunteer effort. The progress of our Freedom Pen program will be updated regularly on Freedompens.org and in the SawMill Creek Freedom Pens Forum. The men and women in our military forces serve and protect many nations all over the world. They are provided the very best equipment and technology by our Government but they need moral support from home; positive assurance that the people of our country are behind them every minute of every day.

We are very blessed to have the support of business and individuals who have provided monetary and material donations to this project. Our immediate goal is to raise enough money to purchase and distribute the 20,000 pen kits that we need to reach our goal for the year 2004. Our long-term goal is to provide each soldier stationed overseas with a custom pen. Every $1.90 collected will provide a pen kit for a woodworker, including the shipping costs. We hope to collect enough donations to pay for the vast majority of kits used for the project with priority assigned to schools and our sponsored Turn-A-Thons.

We need media exposure to let people know about our program. With every newspaper article that has been written to date the number of woodworkers that have joined us has grown. As we reach more of the woodworking community we will be able to provide more pens to our troops. Although we have been able to deliver pens via Fort Eustis we are still awaiting permission to use the Chaplains Corps as a vehicle to personally deliver our pens to the troops in the field. Chaplain Mike Payne at Fort Eustis has a request pending through his command to assist us delivering our precious cargo. We feel that our writing instruments will also be beneficial to the Chaplains Corps in their mission to keep the morale of our servicemen and women as high as possible.

A large percentage of our woodworkers are military veterans--these are the generations of Americans who have served our Nation proudly and know firsthand how much it means to have the support of the American people. We believe that if we are to send our sons and daughters into harms way we owe them our support and our prayers until every one of them is home safe on American soil. It is equally important that the families of our servicemen and women know that the American people truly care and that we will continue to support and pray for their loved ones who are in harms way.

If you could hold one of these pens in your hand and read the message that is often attached you would instantly understand the pride and the honor of giving such a gift to an American Hero. Many of our pens are made by school children and they include their messages of hope and admiration with their hand made pens. These wonderful kids have found a tangible means of demonstrating how they feel and are loyal American Patriots who have stepped forward to share in our effort to support our military.

Your endorsement of the Freedom Pen Project would provide us with the recognition we need to improve our distribution and to reach more Americans who would be willing to help us produce pens and fund our project.

You will find all the information you need to evaluate our Project at the following Internet Addresses;

http://www.freedompens.org
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org

We appreciate your time and consideration concerning our request and we offer you the opportunity to join us in our efforts to show our support for our American Patriots.

Keith W. Outten Jr.
    Freedom Pens Project Administrator

Outstanding Keith, this should get some attention!

Job well done!
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Excellent message Keith! So much so, that it is certainly short a BUNCH of names on the "To" line. It would be great if every member of Congress could have a good read of this message. They all say they support our troops so this should be a welcome message to them.

Again, excellent work.
    Chris 'Digger' Johnson
    "If you work hard enough and long enough to make something "idiot-proof", rest assured that someone will build a better idiot!"

I guess I'll be copying some of this and sending it to my Senators and such to see if I get any reinforcements from them. Maybe that will be my task for tomorrow......
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

hope you dont mind but i borrowed the text to try and drum up some support in the cincinnati area

thanks

Ditto for Oklahoma....hey isn't this an election year??? Do ya think the prez and his opponent would be interested????

You are all welcome to use the text of my message, I do suggest that you delete my name and add your own since your Representatives are unlikely to be concerned with what a poor boy from Virginia has to say

By the way, my letter is to be hand delivered later this week to both Senators via a member of their Staff.

Very well written Keith. Nice job. Dave

I Know I'm going to snag it, I couldn't put together a statment like that on my best day.
    Great job.
    Daniel

BZ, Keith, as we Navy guys would say. Nice touch getting the letters hand delivered. Phil

Well I did it I sent the letter to Tennessee Senators Wm. Frist and Lamar Alexander Also to representive John Duncan wish me luck and I hope this helps

Got it sent to Kay Bailey Hutchinson from Texas.

Joe