Evening guys, I'm building two cabinets for hand tools, each roughly 48"x78"x12". One will have shelves to nose the molding planes into, a bunch of drawers, and a place for the machinist tool boxes to live. The other is for saws and bench planes.

In this cabinet, the lower 1/2 is for saws, which rest in two layers of slots, kind of like kitchen knives might be. It currently fits 42 full length saws, and 22 back saws. There is a little space left in this area, which will get fitted for veneer saws, bow saws, scroll saws, etc.

My question is with the space above this, 46"x42"x11" of blank space, which needs to hold planes. I'm a collector/user, who likes the looks of the planes, as much as I like to use them. I want to maximize the number of planes in the space, while having the flexibility to change planes around, as the lineup changes.

My initial plan was to rig up a system that held them bottom to the back of the cabinet, which was ok, but it leaves enough room for another 50 or so planes in empty air. Same with sides of the planes to the back of the cabinet. I've thought about a second set of doors inside to allow for the hanging of two layers of planes. Is there a better way?

Does anybody have any ideas, photos, hunches? H.O. Studley's cabinet is probably the most amazing organized thing I know of, and Toplins book shows lots of pictures of cabinets with wasted space. Anything else out there?