Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 4' x 6' torsion box

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My 4' x 6' torsion box

This is going to be an assembly table/work surface. Currently it is supported on saw horses, but I will eventually build some sort of rolling under carriage.

It has just about a playing card's dip in the middle according to a Menard's 4' straight edge. I'm not going to sweat it.... should I?

When you build the under-carriage, just make sure that it's flat, and then the top will flatten out once attached........hopefully?

Probably so. Length to length, BTW. Also, since it's a Menard's straight edge, I get slightly different readings as I flip it over... which begs two questions.

Split the difference?

Since so many people say aluminum machines "well" with WW'ing tools, and since my jointer's knives are already in need of sharpening...

Can I joint my straight edge?

Use a reference surface, such as a jointer table, and a feeler gauge to verify what you are seeing.

If you want more accuracy, then LV and others sell straightedges that are very tight in there tolerances.

http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/produ...raight%20edges

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,240,45313

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,240,45313

Question

I was under the impression that by design a torsion box would not flex at all if properly constructed. Is that not the case?

It won't flex under its own weight.

I expect that the "dip" is actually in the straight edge or at least mostly.

If you are concerned make a temporary straight edge from a piece of jointed wood and check it against a known surface (jointer fence or table) and then against the torsion box.

I just made a 3x5 box that is on sawhorses still too. With a 5' jointed piece I can't see light under the piece anywhere on the table. I have access to a 48" precision ground Starrett but haven't bothered to get it to check yet.

Don't sweat the small stuff.

Just wanted to add (as an edit) that the box was one of the nicer things I have built in a while. I don't know how I survived this long without one. If you are on the fence about doing one it is a good idea.

Joe
    Last edited by Joe Chritz; 03-05-2008 at 3:46 PM. Reason: Forgot something
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Warford View Post
    I was under the impression that by design a torsion box would not flex at all if properly constructed. Is that not the case?
    I don't know about that. I'm sure there is some flex. In my case it is probably more the way it was constructed, than flex between the two horses. I could always shove them closer to see. The hardest part about building this was getting a flat reference surface... which I did as closely as humanly possible.

10-thousandths to me over a 6' length is really not that big of a deal. I was just wondering how many of you have a 6' TB within 10-thousandths... I guess at any point... and I was wondering if you feel this is a big deal or not. 5-thousandths is acceptable for a TS top.

I feel this can be corrected if need be. I have a hardboard top screwed down, which can be replaced. I could simply lay in a few shims in the low spots, and re-screw the hardboard down.

Edit: I said playing card, not playing card deck. (Smile)

My main question is, should I sweat it? Or fix it?

Wait for a rainny weekend and fix it, sounds like it'd be easy with your set up, if all ya have to do is unscrew the top.

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

Sounds like a good use for a skim coat of Bondo in the low spot and sand it out smooth. At least if you're going to put something on top of it, like laminate. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Thanks everyone. My Menard's straight edge is actually rocking on one side and crowned on the other. Very good news for me, actually. So I'm off to start a thread on jointing my Menard's straight edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Warford View Post
    Any real world material or construct will deform under load, any load, no matter how small, even if the load is only its own weight. The deformation may be very small, but there will be deformation.

Nothing in the real world is infinitely stiff.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Simmel View Post
    This is going to be an assembly table/work surface. Currently it is supported on saw horses, but I will eventually build some sort of rolling under carriage.

It has just about a playing card's dip in the middle according to a Menard's 4' straight edge. I'm not going to sweat it.... should I?
    I would but I'm about as anal as they come! You have some good suggestions already to verify how flat your box is so have at it! Pick up a set of feeler gauges...handy suckers to have around and the aluminum straight-edges from Lee Valley are great!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Blog Entries
    Funny. All this discussion and I still don't see any proof that the thing even exists let alone exists in a non-perfect state ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I'm not sure that jointing the straight edge will work all that well. Tools designed to cut wood and to cut metals are made differently. A mill with a fly cutter would work if you can find one with enough travel, or a surface grinder or a CNC router.

I use playing cards for shim stock sometimes and I can't think of anything that a few thousandths off on an assembly table would ever make a difference.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"