Thread: Box Joints in Plywood

Box Joints in Plywood

Does anyone have tips for cutting box joints in MDO plywood? I am attempting to build a couple of large, utilitarian, storage drawers for the router table, and wanted to use box joints.

I built a jig for the router table miter gauge, set it up for 1/2" box joints, and used a new sharp spiral bit. The tear out was incredible on the front face of the workpieces. I did try using masking tape on the cutlines, and that, if anything, made it worse. Is it the MDO layer that is the problem? I know that Norm has used box joints in the past in plywood (or so I think he did).

I did use the box joint jig on some scrap pine before I tried the plywood, and it worked great.

I think that the photos attached ok of the test work.

What did I do wrong with this?

Doc
    Attached Images Attached Images
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

I'll bet the MDO layer is not as good as you'd expect and that is causing the problem.

That said though, his Normness cuts box joints on the table saw with a dado blade set up. That would score the cut with the outside blades and "may" eliminate tear out. I say may because I still suspect your material.

As an aside how much a sheet was your MDO? Locally it sells for about $80 a sheet for 3/4". Pretty pricey, I think.
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

Not to hijack, but here in Cincinnati, I just priced 3/4" MDO at $50 & change per sheet.

Mike

When I use the router table for box joints in qrt white oak I got chip out. I made a 'backer' from scrap to go in front of the stock and this eliminated chip out an the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dunn View Post
    I'll bet the MDO layer is not as good as you'd expect and that is causing the problem.

That said though, his Normness cuts box joints on the table saw with a dado blade set up. That would score the cut with the outside blades and "may" eliminate tear out. I say may because I still suspect your material.

As an aside how much a sheet was your MDO? Locally it sells for about $80 a sheet for 3/4". Pretty pricey, I think.

Here they call it "Sign Makers Plywood" and I bought a sheet of 1/2" about two years ago. At that time, I think it was about $40, but I haven't priced it lately. Table saw is my next option, and I have also considered building a sled to give it better support.

That said, I am trying to figure out a way to hold a backing piece onto the front of the workpiece. Carpet tape would work on the holding-it-on part, but I am worried that it will remove the overlay on the taking-it-apart part.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

perhaps a backer board?

Hi Greg, I would bet that you could get a good cut on that plywood with a high speed on the bit and a backer board on BOTH sides of the cut, the only problem is that you will tear up as much backer as the plywood.

Good luck, I would enjoy seeing more pics of your set-ups and jigs for the router table!

I agree with Tim...backer on both sides to help keep the chip-out away.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've done box joints on a table saw with a dado blade (and a backer board) with no problems.

Blog Entries
    Sandwich the piece to be cut between tightly clamped scrap. This creates a entrance and backer board to protect your veneers. That being said, the method is only a cure for when you absolutely have to box joint or DT veneers. Normally I avoid it if at all possible.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler