Thread: JET pulleys

JET pulleys

The pulleys on the arbor of my JET cabinet saw for some reason keep coming loose. The saw is about 10 years old now and just started this.
    I can tighten them up with no problem but after a week or two of use it starts again.

1) Why is this happening now?

2) Any reason not to use Lock-tight? Would just white Elmer's glue be a better choice?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I would replace the setscrews with new one and check the shaft and make sure it ok.

You could start with Blue LOCTITE and if that does not do it go to the red LOCTITE.

Same thing happened to me on a 10-yr-old 5 hp JTAS. I replaced the screws and have not had a problem since. My motor fried after 5 years and I had it rewound for about $450 and it has been fine since. Jet had no warrantee on the motor at that point and the saw had about 50 hours on it, all with a Jet dust collector in place. Another thread locking trick is a dab of nail polish in the tip of the screw before inserting it.

I'd be very hesitant about using loctite on the arbor/pulley bore if that's what you were thinking, but blue loctite on the setscrews would be fine. Any time I need to remove pulleys, when they go back on, the setscrews are cleaned and installed with the blue - not red - loctite. I use the red only when there's no expectation of having to remove the screw ever again.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

Saw

Go to www.mcmaster-carr.com web site and fine the set screws.They sell one that will dig into the flat spot on the shaft and will not back out as easy.While there you will see several types of set screws,cup,ball,flat,point and afew others I think.Material is another selections,steel,stainless steel(grades)There are choices out there,just pick one.I "would not" use loctite,if anything I would put alittle paint over the hole.Good Luck----Carroll

loctite is perfectly fine to use,and use a flat end set screw.
    brent

Thanks, I will have a look in a few days and see what is going on under the table. Set screws are cheap so I guess I will start by replacing them.
    I will give JET a call an see what they say.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale