Thread: Looking for good Plywood In Chicagoland

Looking for good Plywood In Chicagoland

I've been working on designing a new mitersaw bench and after finishing a router table in which I used Baltic Birch Plywood which cost me quite a bit I think over 70 bucks a 5x5 sheet. Is there a good source of quality plywood that I could use for shop cabinets that won't cost me a billion dollars? The stuff at the big boxes seems to always warp really bad, so I don't think I want to toss good money at that... Any advice? Here is what the bench is going to look like.

thanks,
    Chuck

For something affordable, I like the birch plywood at the big box stores. In 3/4", if I grab at least the 3rd sheet down, it's straight. My challenge is getting the knuckle-draggers who operate the panel saw to take it slow, so I don't get 1" tearout along each crosscut.

Also, the veneer is VERY thin.

I'm working with some Ash plywood in a project now, which I got at Kettle Moraine Hardwoods. It was $70 for a 4x8 sheet, but it is flat, and the veneer is MUCH thicker than the plywood at the big box stores.

For shop cabinets, go with the cheaper birch plywood and turn a blind eye towards the chip-out.

If you are looking for "good" plywood Chuck, you need to check with a local cabinet shop or two and ask their source. You won't find it at the Borg anymore I hate to say. What little I use comes from my long time hard-wood supplier who's main sales are cabinet shops.

You can also do a Google for hard-wood sources and probably find some in your area. There is a web-site that does just that. I think it is the W thang then woodfinder dot com.. but am not totally sure of the site name.

Good luck...

Sarge..

Owl Lumber west of downtown. They have EVERYTHING!

Another vote for Owl Hardwoods.

The last couple of weeks, I've been buying 3/4" maple veneered at Menards in Rockford. It's $44.88 a sheet and really very nice. I assume most of them would carry it and that you have one near you.

For general purpose plywood I have had very good luck at Menards, especially their birch or maple veneers. I have often seen multiply (approx. 11 layers) there at a reasonable price. For example when I built the cabinets for my shop I got 3/4 plywood for under $50 per sheet. And yes the veneers are very thin. There were no voids that I found.

Other sources for cabinet grade ply are already mentioned Owl or Kettle Moraine. I might also suggest you check with the Hardwood Connection in Sycamore, or Badger Hardwoods in Wisc.
    Wood'N'Scout

Guys I got my baltic birch from the Hardwood Connection, it was very nice stuff, but a bit pricy for me. I might give my local menards a try. Owl was the same price as the Hardwood Connection as I recall, maybe a few bucks more, but not much. I love the stuff, but I'm on a budget, so every dollar counts.

Thanks guys.
    Chuck

Just built some cabinets in the garage and picked it up at the BORG - since I didn't have them cut it, no tear out. Also I had to move 2 of the sheets, but after that found some that were not warped too bad.

Owl is a definite choice. Only hear good things about them. They are in Des Plaines.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Fischer View Post
    Guys I got my baltic birch from the Hardwood Connection, it was very nice stuff, but a bit pricy for me. I might give my local menards a try. Owl was the same price as the Hardwood Connection as I recall, maybe a few bucks more, but not much. I love the stuff, but I'm on a budget, so every dollar counts.
    Hardwood Connection is a beautiful store. I wish I could afford to shop there more.

Quote Originally Posted by Christof Grohs View Post
    Another vote for Owl Hardwoods.
    I live over 200 miles away and buy all my hardwood and plywood from Owl.

I live in North East Wisconsin and get a lot of my material through Kettle Moraine Hardwoods. They have a real good inventory of plywoods also. Prices aren't the greatest, but you can order any qauntity from them. If your looking for a higher quantity there is algoma lumber and they have the best prices hands down. They also have a minimum 10 sheet order. I had ordered some Walnut cabinet grade 3/4" from them and it was just under $400 delivered to my shop for ten sheets. You do the math, You can't beat that price. If your after hardwoods at a great price too, I go through Wolf River Lumber Company for most of my "Normal" woods, Oak, Maple, Walnut, Cherry, etc. They don't carry or stock any of the exotics, but for normal wood they are by far the cheapest I have found. Good luck.

13. Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Fischer View Post

Thanks guys.
    Chuck
    Owl has a Pacific Rim import Baltic Birch style plywood in 4x8 sheets that you may want to look at. Not as nice as the real thing, but not priced like it either.

Best regards,

John Halliburton

I am going to check into the Menard's plywood. I was thumbing through their ad on Sunday and they put "Made in USA" badges next to everything made here. I noticed that the plywood actually had a decent amount of these stickers, NOT the 3/4" Brich, but the 3/4" Maple is made in the USA. And it is on sale this week...