Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: This thread for Holtey plane owners only...

This thread for Holtey plane owners only...

If you own one or more please reply.
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

5 days and 269 views later, and no one replied that they have one. I'm probably wrong for sure to everyone else, but it's as I figured, they are too expensive for the average woodworker.
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

"too expensive for the average woodworker": very profound. You really went out on a limb.

What reason have you given them to come out of the woodwork? You haven't asked a question and you're leading them into the spotlight. Wouldn't it be crazy if actual owners of these boutique planes don't flaunt them at every moment and don't want to be on this spotlight? That would probably really make your head spin.

I would be very surprised if an actual owner posted here, given the attacks they are likely to receive. But what does it matter if no one has them anyway? Clearly Mr. Holtey is selling enough to stay in business, so what are we looking for here? Is there some presumption that wealthy people don't participate in online forums?

Blog Entries

Only My Opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quadarella View Post
    I would be very surprised if an actual owner posted here, given the attacks they are likely to receive. But what does it matter if no one has them anyway? Clearly Mr. Holtey is selling enough to stay in business, so what are we looking for here? Is there some presumption that wealthy people don't participate in online forums?
    But surely if I owned one, after some of the comments in the other thread, I would not make it known.

I did take some prints of images to work to show a co-worker who's brother has a machine shop to ask about the difficulty of making such an item. He said it is something they could do, but not cheaply.

He and I are both retiring soon. He may do some work with his brother. I may send some work to his brother's shop.

I may never own a Holtey plane. But I do intend on making some of my own planes. Not sure if any will ever be made to sell or not.

I was looking at the Bridge City Tool Works HP-7 shoulder plane. The factory blemished version was as low as $350 a few days ago. I was trying to figure what I could do to convince my wife that it was a good thing to get. It is designed by John Economaki. There was one available for trial use at the woodworking show in Oakland. It is a pleasurable plane to push on a piece of wood. It also feels good in the hands.

jim

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Bickford View Post
    "too expensive for the average woodworker": very profound. You really went out on a limb.

What reason have you given them to come out of the woodwork? You haven't asked a question and you're leading them into the spotlight. Wouldn't it be crazy if actual owners of these boutique planes don't flaunt them at every moment and don't want to be on this spotlight? That would probably really make your head spin.
    This was a corresponding thread to the other Holtey plane thread. And as I said, I'm probably wrong...usually am.
    Michael Gibbons

Hi -

I owned up to having one (OK....it's actually two) in the other thread - but that doesn't really count, as its' not a personal plane...

Have to agree that that I wouldn't expect people to post what they have in this thread, just because of the context or the discussion...

Kinda like saying "who has a Porsche?", "who wears a Rolex?", "who drinks $200 bottles of scotch?"...

There's no accounting for how people make choices, or how they impart value to things, or activities. We all make choices for different reasons - and I know I don't look for external validations of mine...

The fact that Karl has been making and selling planes successfully for ages really answers the question!

Cheers -

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Kinda like saying ... "who drinks $200 bottles of scotch?"...

Rob
    But, my consumption of $400/bottle Pappy Van Winkle bourbon makes not having the Porsche or the Rolex much more tolerable!

I guess I shouldn't post here either.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Hi -
    The fact that Karl has been making and selling planes successfully for ages really answers the question!
    Not knowing the man and not having any access to his financial information and having never seen one of his planes - not even in a photograph anywhere other than his website - I'd not hazard a guess at how many he sells or doesn't sell.

Maybe it'd be a fun experiment to put up a website and place on it articles for sale at astronomical prices just to see if any one snaps 'em up.

It's been my experience that wealthy people tend not to be on line surfing or shopping. They have employees who do that for them.

11. Cool following with great interest

I spend entirely too much on hand tools that recieve much less use than intended by the maker, but I enjoy having them none the less.

The post above that really caught my eye however was the one that mentioned the Pappy Van Winkle bourbon. I have had the regular Van Winkle and found it ot be exceptional, I was looking at the Pappy in the store last weekend is it that much better? I wanted a bottle, but I was with SWMBO, and the NO was final.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rohrabacher View Post
    It's been my experience that wealthy people tend not to be on line surfing or shopping. They have employees who do that for them.
    Are you serious or is that tongue in cheek? Because that's not my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard Langlois View Post
    The post above that really caught my eye however was the one that mentioned the Pappy Van Winkle bourbon. I have had the regular Van Winkle and found it ot be exceptional, I was looking at the Pappy in the store last weekend is it that much better? I wanted a bottle, but I was with SWMBO, and the NO was final.
    I was just sorta kidding. My father had the good fortune to count one of the Van Winkle's as a friend (he referred to him as "the colonel"). So plenty of very expensive bourbon made it to our house (more than we could drink--we're not puritans but common, that was a lot of bourbon). But it has been years since I've had any.

14. Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quadarella View Post
    Are you serious or is that tongue in cheek? Because that's not my experience.
    Well there is the little problem of the word "wealthy" being a pretty subjective term.

There are people who think I'm wealthy beyond their imaginings and then there are people whom I think are wealthy beyond my imaginings and then there are probably people who ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The folks I'd call wealthy are the ones with the employees doing all their shopping handling their insurance, designing their homes for them, piloting their jets and yachts~ ~ ~ that sort of thing.

That has been my experience too