Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ever feel like your SHOP is your hobby?

We've just moved into a new house and 2/3 of the basement is shop space - about 16 x 52'. I say shop space, because it sure isn't a shop yet. So far it's been devoted to painting trim and a million odd jobs that need to be done right away. I have a LONG list of projects to be done for the house, including fireplace mantle, window seats, dining table, end tables, picture frames, bed, dressers, etc, etc. But before I can get at those I need to cover the walls in plywood, make storage space, improve the lighting, and install a DC system. So it's a bit daunting, but like others have said, this is my hobby and I just enjoy doing the work. I just enjoy doing real woodworking more than setting up shop.

Cheers
    "There is a crack in everything - that's how the light gets in"

And I thought I was the only one that felt this way. Just last night I was putting some tools away that I used last week when I installed my new flat screen. Then I proceeded to put some more finish on the cabinet that once held our old tv. I'm going to use that cabinet to hold my sharpening supplies and Tormek and dry grinders. Then out of nowhere, out came the pellet gun and cracked off a few rounds to see if I could sight it in better. Then cranked some Van Halen on the stereo, banged on the drums and looked through some old scrapbooks. Luckily for now, my shop is in the basement.
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

Yep - worked on mine all winter - and this was not the first or likely the last time.

I started to remodel my shop about 45 days ago. Very quickly at first, just a new work bench/cut off table for behind my table saw 3'X8' with 12 drawers for my extra hand tools. I got the bench built (drawers not yet), than I ran into this deal and decided to upgrade my TS and other equipment.
    The Deal; I just purchased; 5hp Left tilt Shop Fox cabinet saw, with; run off table, Bies. fence and over head dust and blade guard, 3 WWII blades, Freud dial-a-datto, ext. table,anti kick back rollers, 3hp dust control Grizzly with 2 remotes, grizzly 6" jointer,Rigid 13" planner with stand and DC, Dewalt 12" miter saw, dust hoses and fittings (filled the back of my truck), Jess-em miter gauge, and some other wood, oak and Zecote (sorry don't know the spelling). 17" Grizzly GO513 Bandsaw with a box of 12 blades,Rigid table top sander, About $1200 worth of veneers and mohogony. Plus new in box vacuam press. For $1600 The equipment is less than 3 years old and probably has 20 hours use. 3 of the 4 saw blade where new. Just saw the price on the Bies overhead guard $699. I was shocked, the guy's wife wanted her garage back and just wanted to get rid of the stuff. Also got 10- 3/4" pipe clamps and some cheap HF clamps. Probably forgetting a few things. I will be selling a few items soon, I'll post pic's after I get the shop reset. This started as, "I think I'll make some new shop cabinets". Figured on a 4-5 day job, its turned into might as well upgrade and build more cabinets (now a month or 2 job). Just called my guy to have him drop in a couple of 220 lines. Can't wait to get the excess out of my way, and start playing again . Can't seem to get that smile off my face. Sometimes even handicap old farts get a good deal...This was a nice way to step up thanks CL.....
    Just couldn't pass that deal up. I've gotten the electrical taken care of dropped 3 new 220 lines and 2 new 110 lines. Set up the TS, didn't like the roll off (roller type) table. Of course my new workbench/cut off table was 2" too tall. Now its just a work bench. So I made one big OOCH!!! move. While moving my old sears craftsmans tablesaw it got dropped and of course broke the motor mounting plate. So its been broken down I used the ext. table and Bies. fence for a cut off table and mounted my Bench Dog router table at the other end, which now sports a Bies. fence. I used the TS switch with my router table. So good does come out of OOCH!!
    I have missed working with wood, so I've had to sneak in a few Bandsaw projects just to keep in practice.

The hardest part was where to stack my wood and sheet goods. That turned out great. Now on to making all the draws and getting 4 buckets of tools put away. Than tear into the last 1/4 of my shop where I stacked all the Misc. Stuff. Thinking I will look for a sheet goods rack for that corner. I like to stock a few sheets of BB ply being that I'm 45 miles from Tucson.
    If I had it all to do over again...HECK YES...it's been fun. Still hard to believe I have a 5hp cabinet saw, DC on everything. I'll post pic's as soon as I'm done.

It's the journey there that's most of the fun....

I only know one guy that already has a legitimate "DREAM SHOP", and this poor sod has a separate 2000 sf "home away from home" on his property. He has a lounge with all the necessitis, an office two bathrooms, a couch, oh yeah, then you go thru a swinging door into a huge shop with all the DC plumbed up from the slab, all the required tools are represented! Also he has an ante room with huge shelves for wood storage. Poor guy, .....and he is just a hobbiest!

Anyway, my point was that most folks I know are always doing something to try to upgrade, rearrange, etc. their workspace. Myself, I love this aspect of it. I really enjoy building storage upgrades and organizational stuff for my garage shop. I am not yet at the point in my skill level where I can unleash my full potential!!!

A good subject.
    "What happens in the garage, often through no fault of it's own, stays in the garage....."

I love working in the shop, not on the shop. My current shop is a 550 sf. unfinished project of 4 years. I complete shop projects as needed. Well not actually complete, but completed enough to function as needed to help with what ever current home project I have at the time. As an example, the cyclone dust collection system is mostly installed and functional. It just has leaks every where because I have not taken the time to tape all the connections and elbows. I have lived in our current home just over 4 years. A relatively large home on a large piece of property in my wifes "Dream" neighborhood. Although we love the homes architecture we did not love the interior decor. So the last 4 years have been spent installing and finishing hardwood floors, making and installing molding, converting attic space, installing over 30 interior doors, building exterior decks, etc. My current frame of mind is time spent working on the shop takes time away from other projects. Current project is a home office with cherry cabinetry and frame and panel walls. Although last year I did build a router cabinet and actually painted so it looks finished. My wife was so happy that I had actually finished a shop project.

Blog Entries
    This hobby brings me hours of enjoyment. I don't do 'shows' and I don't pay the bills with my efforts (good thing because I'd starve). Building a jig, arranging tools, sharpening cutters or pegging a drawer; they're all part of the hobby and all fun to me.

My pieces go to friends and family, sometimes for pay, usually not. The cost of materials is part of the hobby and I don't make a piece with the intention of selling it unless it was commissioned. Plus, puttering in the shop keeps me busy when I don't have a current project going or I am waiting on wood to acclimate ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

My shop reached critical mass!

Actually, I decided I am a tool guy more than a woodworker. Most of my time seems to be spent buying, selling, repairing, restoring tools. I love working with good tools, to the point I use tools to build and/or fix tools. Right now, I have to plan and execute a huge garage sale and a month of eBay sales to make good on my promise I could sell the tools I had for much of what the great deal on better tools I bought cost.

The past few days have been spent buying, hauling, and tuning up a 14" band saw to replace the perfectly good, seldom-used 12" band saw. I had tuned up the 12" with cast iron pulleys, 1hp motor and heavy-duty cord. Naturally, that had to be transferred over to the 14" and the 1/2hp motor and pulleys put on the 12". I got to do the same work three times without making large piles of sawdust with the machines. If that is not a formula for success, I don't know what is!

thnx, jack vines

Ever since I stopped going to the community college wood working class/shop, I've accomplished very little outside of setting up shop. Partitioning the two car garage into 1 3/4 shop, 1/4 laundry room, wiring, insulation, new insulated garage doors, heater, lighting. No end to it.

Of course I have picked up tools and accessories along the way and wood, sheet goods and stock. I find myself moving these various items around frequently so that I can accomplish some minor task.

I have recently broken the gridlock and am making some pretty good progess. Today I plan on getting my old Dewalt radial arm saw put into a semi-permanent location. That thing is not a lot of fun to move.

I don't know about the rest of you, but once I hit gridlock my mind just shuts down and I have to reboot and come back days or weeks later when I have a fresh outlook. It's time consuming indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Pennell View Post
    I started to remodel my shop about 45 days ago. Very quickly at first, just a new work bench/cut off table for behind my table saw 3'X8' with 12 drawers for my extra hand tools. I got the bench built (drawers not yet), than I ran into this deal and decided to upgrade my TS and other equipment.
    The Deal; I just purchased; 5hp Left tilt Shop Fox cabinet saw, with; run off table, Bies. fence and over head dust and blade guard, 3 WWII blades, Freud dial-a-datto, ext. table,anti kick back rollers, 3hp dust control Grizzly with 2 remotes, grizzly 6" jointer,Rigid 13" planner with stand and DC, Dewalt 12" miter saw, dust hoses and fittings (filled the back of my truck), Jess-em miter gauge, and some other wood, oak and Zecote (sorry don't know the spelling). 17" Grizzly GO513 Bandsaw with a box of 12 blades,Rigid table top sander, About $1200 worth of veneers and mohogony. Plus new in box vacuam press. For $1600 The equipment is less than 3 years old and probably has 20 hours use. 3 of the 4 saw blade where new. Just saw the price on the Bies overhead guard $699. I was shocked, the guy's wife wanted her garage back and just wanted to get rid of the stuff. Also got 10- 3/4" pipe clamps and some cheap HF clamps. Probably forgetting a few things. I will be selling a few items soon, I'll post pic's after I get the shop reset. This started as, "I think I'll make some new shop cabinets". Figured on a 4-5 day job, its turned into might as well upgrade and build more cabinets (now a month or 2 job). Just called my guy to have him drop in a couple of 220 lines. Can't wait to get the excess out of my way, and start playing again . Can't seem to get that smile off my face. Sometimes even handicap old farts get a good deal...This was a nice way to step up thanks CL.....
    Just couldn't pass that deal up. I've gotten the electrical taken care of dropped 3 new 220 lines and 2 new 110 lines. Set up the TS, didn't like the roll off (roller type) table. Of course my new workbench/cut off table was 2" too tall. Now its just a work bench. So I made one big OOCH!!! move. While moving my old sears craftsmans tablesaw it got dropped and of course broke the motor mounting plate. So its been broken down I used the ext. table and Bies. fence for a cut off table and mounted my Bench Dog router table at the other end, which now sports a Bies. fence. I used the TS switch with my router table. So good does come out of OOCH!!
    I have missed working with wood, so I've had to sneak in a few Bandsaw projects just to keep in practice.

The hardest part was where to stack my wood and sheet goods. That turned out great. Now on to making all the draws and getting 4 buckets of tools put away. Than tear into the last 1/4 of my shop where I stacked all the Misc. Stuff. Thinking I will look for a sheet goods rack for that corner. I like to stock a few sheets of BB ply being that I'm 45 miles from Tucson.
    If I had it all to do over again...HECK YES...it's been fun. Still hard to believe I have a 5hp cabinet saw, DC on everything. I'll post pic's as soon as I'm done.
    Wow, What a deal. How did you find it,craigslist? I bet you had to act fast!
    I think I will rent a huge truck and lurk around a rich retirement town with a laptop.

Ya Jim it came up on a Friday night, had to scramble to put the money together. Had $1300 put aside and wife had the rest. Made 4 phone calls to the Lady. She had called me back and said her husbands friend was going to buy the TS (that was all I was going to buy) Called her back and said I'd take it all if that made the deal better for her (remember she wanted her garage back.). She called me back 10 minutes later and said if I'd go $100 more she would throw in the walnut and Dewalt saw. I said great, the TS was worth what I was paying. Put the trailer on the truck, fueled up and made it to her house 9am the next morning. The last phone call was at 10pm the night before.
    Now I have two hobbies Woodworking and CL. Don't think I'll ever beat that deal, but I keep trying. Have picked up some great wood deals, and some other equipment deals. Got a Delta 14" Bandsaw off a guy that had broken both table truniuns (sp?) and a delta 12" planer with DC shroud for $250 plus $30 for new truniuns. It a great combo woodworking and deals on tools. Probably should start a game show or something.
    It seems my shop is my hobby lately, I just mounted my vise today and installed my board buddies on the TS. Going back out to make a raised panel jig for the TS. Slow steps, I'll get finished in a year or two or three, its fun. If the good deals would quit for a while I'll finish. Ya Sure!! At least I get out of my wifes hair for a while each day.
    Need to build a Sysport for my Festool stuff, think I'll make it 2 sided pull outs and tall enough to mount my Leigh dovetail jig on top of. Of course on locking casters. Then maybe start on the 12 drawers for my work bench and get my tools put away. (Need to quite thinking the list just keeps getting longer) Still need to start blanket chests for my wife, daughter, and 2 granddaughters. Just found out we have a great grand baby coming soon! More stuff to build. Maybe the drawers will wait? Need to quit writing and go start working in the shop. Thank goodness I'm a Hobbiest with no schedule to get all this done. Just play a little every day or not! Shop Hobby or Hobby Shop?????????? That question I'll never know the answer too.

I too, spend way too much time working on the shop. the only thing worse is rc planes. hours and hours of building them. flying and then crash repair

Well, lately I have, but in the sense that after Christmas and all the work that went toward that, I made up my mind to focus on shop projects. So I built a tenon jig, a bench vise router table, full size cabinet router table, storage cabinet, clamp storage cart, feather boards, shelving...

From time to time I actually cleaned up. Now I think I can get back to actually making things not pertaining to the shop. But just puttering around can sometimes be really enjoyable. I've even found it to be a good way to ease back into a project after screwing something up, which usually requires a cool down period. Cleaning up and getting reorganized is a helpful, low-risk way to get back in the saddle, and usually helps improve my work.

yeah im pretty new to woodworking so im still organizing my shop and gathering new tools and such and everytime i tell someone that im into woodworking they always ask what ive built. the answer is pretty much the same. some cabinets for my shop, a workbench for my shop, some saw horses, lol they always look at me like huh?