Thread: Bookshelf Pics

Bookshelf Pics

Here are some pictures of a bookshelf I built for my girlfriend last summer.
    The posts are 1.5" abs pipe, with endcaps made of hardboard epoxied on and painted with fleckstone paint. The bottom posts have 1/2" pvc pipe running down the center and packed with sand around the outside for extra weight and is all sealed with epoxy so no sand leaks out. The shelves are made of 3/4" laminated pine.
    Its all held together with 5/16" all-thread rod and can be taken apart quite easily for transport.
    It is very strong and has held up to a year of heavy nursing textbooks and such. I have also demonstrated the "climb" test to quite a few people who have "placed orders".

Im working on an Entertainment unit for our living room based on the same concept right now and should be finished in a few days with pics to follow.

Thanks for looking and feel free to comment and offer suggestions for future improvements. Thanks Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dan Dubeau; 03-27-2004 at 2:54 PM.

Blog Entries
    Dan - beautiful work! The unit is quite simple in design, yet has a great look due to the fleckstone finish on the risers. Love it - in fact, I could see myself building something like that sometime. My son would love something like that.
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

Pretty good use of materials Dan! I remember when I used to store my bike in the living room!

Very kewel design and execution, Dan. I also like the combination of the wood with the alternative materials and finish.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis

Thumbs up

Unique materials, nice design. We've still got some book shelves around with ABS and PVC parts after 25 years.Too nice.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Very nice Dan. I remember when my bookshelves were 8x16 concrete blocks with 1x12 WPP boards for shelves...
    Waymon...
    ...My heroes are not athletes, entertainers or politicians;
    ALL my heroes wear US Armed Forces uniforms...

Bookcase

Dan
    Very nice work and use of all the different types of fabrication materials.
    My kind of engineering.
    When I went to college, used peach boxes (do some of you "old guys" remember peach boxes) with daubs of white glue to hold them on top of each other. Soaked them with a wet rag to get them apart to transport home after 4 years. ahhhhh! nostalgia ~
    Daniel
    "Howdy" from Southwestern PA

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch
    I remember when I used to store my bike in the living room!
    Same here. Of course, it's been promoted to the kitchen
    Torre

A lack of thoughtfulness is different than a lack of intelligence, but often has the same net result

Dan, great design. I like the use of the pipe to cover the rod. Looks very nice.