Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Safety question: Which tools are most likely to cause injury?

dangerous tools

I haven't read 100% of the replies, but I think my take on this is a little different than some people's. I treat all tools with a lot of safety, but I'm most concerned and attentive with the ones that can cause serious, life changing injury to me. To me, this puts the following tools on the most dangerous list, in order of danger:

1. Table Saw
    2. Sliding Compound Miter Saw
    3. Lathe

I have a sawstop with an effective overhead guard that I use all the time, so my biggest concern is the last two, especially since they aren't often seen as extremely dangerous tools to use. The SCMS is on the list because I could lose a hand on it, and the various angles and bevels it's used for eliminate the possibility of a consistent "no hands" area that is marked or guarded permanently. The lathe is on the list because it seems really innocent and easy, and could fling something at you in a heartbeat if you make some basic errors, or just get really unlucky.

I would also add in the risk of open dust ports sucking your hand toward a cutter on any rigged up dust collection. My router table is serviced by a 6" port and can really suck stuff into the opening, including my hand toward the cutter, if I was stupid and had my hand near enough to it when the cutter was moving.

Hope this was helpful

Talking

I would also add in the risk of open dust ports sucking your hand toward a cutter on any rigged up dust collection. My router table is serviced by a 6" port and can really suck stuff into the opening, including my hand toward the cutter, if I was stupid and had my hand near enough to it when the cutter was moving.

[/quote]

Hahehha,

This brings up one of the stooopider things I've done.

I smoke like a chimley. (SIC redneck clarity)

I set my lit cig down on the shaper table, tooling wasn't spinning,

but the dust collection was on.

Needless to say I couldn't find it.....for awhile.

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

I'd say the drill press. There are tons of warnings and better awareness of table saw hazards.

The humble drill press, on the other hand, folks take for granted. It seems so harmless, but they have so much torque, things can get out of hand quickly.

I have a great uncle who lost the end of a finger in a drill press accident. (probably his fault)

It is the tool you take for granted that bites you.

In a similar thread on another forum, a lot of folks voted for the chisel for this very reason.

Andy,
    I have not done too much wood turning but have heard a couple different stories of some guys out here in Hawaii spinning big koa bowls that had their material come apart and just about kill em!
    I guess it depends what you are turning but I would have to say a large lathe could be pretty life altering.
    The main problem with miter saws is that people misuse them. When used correctly they seem pretty safe to me. Not like an exploding 18" koa bowl!

That reminds me. I went into this old fella's shop once on The Big Island and he had this home made...Mill?
    It was like a 4" dia. quill/shaft that stuck out from a table about 4 feet. it tapered down on the business end and held star shaped gouging bit (I forget what those things are called) The whole shaft spun at TSOG (The speed of God)There was an old wood chair right by the bit end. No guards, No electronic voltage sensing stops, No yellow tape on the floor...just a pile of shavings
    Seems safety is a bit relative.

BTW This guy,has for years, produced some of the most awesome woodwork I have ever seen.