Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Charleston double chest

It is already in our bedroom. I have the upper 6 drawers, and my wife have the rest. Now I need a bed that complements the chest. Ben

Very nice... thanks for sharing
    Dewey
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Blog Entries
    That is some absolutly wonderful work. What a great way to spend time with the kids.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Dad,

Great to see the chest here online. It turned out beautiful. Would you say the color matches the first picture or the detail shot which is a little darker? It is hard to tell from the photography.

Let me also say that the work that Dad put into this project was considerable (besides building his chest). He prepped literally hundreds of BF of cypress and mahogany before we got there, which took no small amount of time. And he made most of the molding, also. Because he got there first he also had nearly all of the steps lined out so we had much, much less head-scratching when there were things to figure out. And his careful supervision keeps a relative novice like me from messing up some incredible materials.

Not to mention Dad has always been a great teacher, the days I had after school in the shop will always be cherished. That is the main reason I like to haul myself from the midwest and work each year side by side with my mentor and idol, a man I always wanted to be like. And woodworking is just a part of it.

My chest is coming along, I hope to get it finished by the end of June, which was my original goal. Day job gets in the way.... I will try to snap some progress shots to show that I am trying to hold up my end of the bargain. Cal

Here are some pictures of the dovetails and a picture of Benjamin Calvin Hobbs, III. Thanks for all the kind words. Ben
    Attached Images Attached Images

Some more Awesome Work by the Hobb Family!!! Ben - really wonderful work........and you have GOOD HELP!

I had the pleasure of viewing some of Calvin's work this last Feb 3-5..and he is certainly a chip off the old block. Calvin, hope all is well and I'm glad the chest is getting close to completion. Call me when it's finished!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Hobbs View Post
    We certainly did not get all of this done in just a week. I estimated that it took about 150 hours to build this piece.
    Whew, that's a relief. I was getting up to throw all my tools in the river and look for a new hobby. 150 hours is still way out of my reach, but better than a week. That is a beautiful piece.

Great job. Love the design and you did a wonderful job of maintaining the classic look. The finish looks terrific. Wish I could get my sons to come do something like that. Maybe when I retire, I'll go to their place. Keep up the good work.

Wow Sir!

simply wow...

Scott

Outstanding!!! BRAVO!!!
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Ben,

Absolutely beautiful. And great way to get together with the sons.Thanks for posting.

Rick
    There are two theories to arguing with a woman... neither works.

Dad,

Sorry I couldn't make it this year. I'm sure Don served well as your "adopted son".

The chest looks really nice. I especially like the detail with the scroll work. I look forward seeing it live sometime this summer.
    Ernie Hobbs
    Winston-Salem, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Hobbs View Post
    My sons and I have been meeting one week each year to work on a project. This year Don Harris joined us. Many of you saw the corner cupboards we did 2 years ago. This year we copied the frontispiece on the cover of Samuel Humphrey's book on Thomas Elfe cabinetmaker. We used wide and figured South American mahogany from Irion lumber, cypress from a local NC mill, pulls from Ball and Ball, locks and repro wrought nails from Horton Brasses, and key escutcheons from White Chapel. I dyed mine with water soluable aniline dye and finished with orange shellac and wax.

All dovetails are hand done, and as usual all interior surfaces are handplaned. The exterior was scraped and lightly sanded, wetted, sanded with 320, wetted, sanded with 320, dyed, finished, and waxed. It is always fun to have the sons home. Thanks for looking, and look for others just like it soon.

Ben
    very very great job...when you look at the photos the love you put into it shows through...love the decorative areas around the top...

Thanks to all who commented and/or looked. These projects sometimes look almost impossible to do, but when you realize that they are only a series of many fairly simple steps it is not so intimidating. Once a few basic skills(such as dovetailing, mortise and tenoning, planing, scraping, and sharpening) are done competently, you can tackle about anything. Ben

Progress...

Here are progress pictures of my double chest, hopefully to be complete in the next few(???) weeks. It has been a fun challenge but I am anxious to get on to something else. Thanks, Cal
    Attached Images Attached Images