Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need ideas

Need ideas

Hi gang, I have a request from a customer to make up something that they could use to put in a public garden, actually the flowers around a flagpole, that would be engraved with text and a graphic. Text would be something along the line of "This garden maintained by" and their company name, graphic would be their company logo. Whatever I come up with will have to stand up to sun, wind, rain, and, if they leave it out during the winter months, extreme cold, snow, etc. It would also need to be something that could somehow be "secured" so that it wouldn't be carried off. They are thinking something around 6 to 7 inches high and 8 to 10 inches wide. My first thought was Granite but they already nixed that idea so now I'm somewhat at a loss. Any one ever do anything like this or have any thought on what might work?

Any and all suggestions appreciated,
    Steve
    Epilog Legend EX24, Corel X3

How about ceramic tiles? They could be cemented to a poured concrete block. In my neighborhood, unless something the size they specify is attached to a half ton of dead weight, it will get swiped! I have to wire my petunia basket to a lamp post, even then its always a relief to see they are still there in the morning! lol

Dave

How about a stainless steel or brass plaque using Cermax or such

Check out http://www.gapalum.com/Blank_Insert_...t_plaques.html

These come with their "metalphoto" inserts, similar to Alumamark, but they claim is much more weather resistent.
    ULS M-360 35W, Corel X3

This would be a perfect application for Corian/solid surface material. Talk to Keith Outten...
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Something with a BIG spike that can be driven into the ground.. There are disgusting morons out there that will steal anything shiny.. I did a photo on stainless for a roadside memorial.. The stainless plate was bolted to a 3' high x 2' wide stainless, square tubular cross, which in turn was bolted to a 10" dia fence post that had been at that corner for generations and the cross had been there for two years.. 'Then' someone stole the cross, photo and all.. Yes!! there ARE morons attracted to shiny things, that will steal virtually anything...
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

I like that BIG spike idea, how about making stepping stones with one word per stone on top of the BIG spike... something like an electrical ground rod. If they try to dig them up, there should be an alarm or camera of some kind that gets tripped.

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

I see my last post was post number 999 for me, so THIS one is 'just because'
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Hey Bill, congratulations, I had one too a few weeks ago. Doesn't it make you feel old?
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

I use .050" Black anodized aluminum riveted to aluminum stakes as garden markers. They work very well and, contrary to popular opinion, last several years. They can be screwed or riveted in place as well.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Mike, where would one by .050" anodized aluminum? I spoke with my customer today at church and they gave me a little more information, turns out they would like something either on a spike or that could be bolted to the flagpole.

Steve

We have done them out of outdoor Rowmark as well with a garden stake attached to the back. Works great.
    Doug

Equipment: Universal 35W Laser, Roland Vinyl cutter, Roland SC-540 54" Solvent Print / Cut, HP L25500 60" Latex Printer,
    Seal 6500 Dual Heat 60" Laminator, Kodak 9810 8x10 Dye Sub, Kodak 6850 6x8 Dye sub, Nisca Color Plastic Card Printer,
    16x20 automatic Heat Press

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Corker View Post
    Hey Bill, congratulations, I had one too a few weeks ago. Doesn't it make you feel old?
    I had one last night! I guess I'm not as old as I thought I was...

Oooo your talking about the count aren't you

Steve

I buy my anodized from Johnson Plastics and cut it myself. They will cut it for you if need be.

Missouri Botanical Gardens uses this material for all outdoor signs. (several hundred)
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Mike, I assume they have other colors available besides Black? Any idea what the approx. cost would be for one 7 x 10? Also, my customer has asked for some way to "highlight" their logo, any ideas on color fill or ???

Thanks for the info,
    Steve