Thread: Cyclone to PVC pipe connection

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cyclone to PVC pipe connection

I have my cyclone up and running, using 25' of 6" pvc flex hose to attach to the various machines. It really sucks!

My next step will be the 6" pvc hard ducting and blast gates. I seem to remember someone suggesting using a short piece of flex hose to connect the pvc pipe to the cyclone. Do any of you cyclone users have opinions on this being a great idea, a romper-room no-no, or a who cares?

Thanks,

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bob,
    I found that a schedule 35 coupler worked OK for mine. I just used a couple of sheet metal screws to hold it and sealed it with bathroom tub & tile caulk. I just went straight to 6" D-2729 PVC.

Just my opinion but I think that the more flex you can eliminate, the better your system performance will be.

Hope this helps.

Gerry

Bob,

I assume you mean a short piece of flex near the cyclone for anti-vibtration and noise transfer.

It seems logical to me that it would work. Vibration has been a very minimal with my system. It is hanging from the ceiling in a detached shop and operates very smoothly. It might be something to consider though, especially in a basement or any shop attached to the house.

Your system is looking good by the way. You will be amazed again when you get the hard ducting in.

Terry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hey Bob....

Do you have the cyclone attached to the blower with toggle clamps?????

If so, neat idea. I'd like to see some closeups of how you did that if you don't mind.

Thanks,

t
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Terry,

Harbor Freight had the clamps on sale for $2 each. I got 4, but I think the shipping was $8 - still cheaper than anything else I could find.

I attached the clamp to the cylinder with machine screws and nuts and loctite. Notice the gobs of white caulking below the clamp - initial placement was less than perfect. The bracket piece that the u-bolt catches on is screwed to the bottom of the blower with washer head Mcfeely screws. I had to work on the brackets with a dremel to make a notch for the u-bolt to catch in, the brackets are rotated 90 degrees from the way they are designed to sit.

I wanted a fairly easy way to attach and remove the cyclone from the blower, I seldom am satisified with my first attempt at something. I do understand the rest of you guys don't have that problem.

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Bob!!!

Really good idea. I like it.

t
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]