Thread: Storm Window Pics---The Begining

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Keep us posted on the slot mortiser. We have an old Griggio and love it, but the price point is over the top, and used ones are pretty rare. I understand that Laguna is just a rebrander/reseller. Does that appear to be the case?

This will be a good thread. Exterior millwork is challenging.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Alan, Laguna has two slot mortisers on offer presently, the european Laguna line, which I'm pretty sure is a Griggio, which has a stationary table, the head moves and tilts, its around $4000. I think its Griggio's entry level model, seems they make heavier duty models also. I bought the Laguna Platinum slot mortiser, made in China, seems to be a Rojek by design. The connection between the post that holds the head and the base is so weak the whole table moves around like a tall flag pole in a stiff breeze. Unacceptable as built.

I spent this afternoon fabricating a yoke to connect the top of the post to the 12" thick concrete wall in my shop using 3/8" angle iron. I'm thinking 20 tons of concrete and 100# of steel should stabilize that machine just fine. I should be able to make the final connections tomorrow and see how it works.

Brief delay of game on the windows. My son has developed a fever due to a double ear infection from a weekend at the lake which puts me out of the shop until he is well, could be several days, then its the Fourth. Not the way I planned it. For now everything is wrapped tightly in cellophane.

Final milling happened yesterday and while there was a bit of moderate movement on the 50" styles this batch of African mahogany has proven to be very stable. Most parts flattened last week from heavy 6/4 to 1 3/16" were still flat enough to work. The half round arch top will be constructed using two segments joined with a pegged bridal joint (or that's the name by which I know it). All parts are milled to 1.125" , the segments have been mitered to 45 degrees and been dadoed to accept a spline..that's where it stopped due to my son's health. Next pic's should be of the segments glued and clamped.

Stay tuned and stay well. MPQ

Thanks for the thread--very interesting. What do you plan to use for glass? Does it need to be tempered?

The glass will be standard 1/16" glass. Tempered is code in my area only if the sill to finished floor height is below. 24" I think? I forget exactly, but these windows have a sill height above code minimum so the client has opted to forgo that expense, which would nearly have doubled the cost of an already expensive window. The storms fall technically under the fixed sash category, though I feel the convertible aspect enters a gray area possibly not covered by the code?

I am a decent with glazing putty but a license is required to set glass commercially in my state so all glass will be installed by a good local glazier. We discussed the tempered glass option, he felt it added very marginal safety or strength in this case and would not prevent major breakage such as a baseball or tree limb. The storms will be delivered without glass installed for fitting to the existing opening by another contractor who is restoring the exterior millwork. Later they will be hung with stainless hangers and marine grade brass fasteners.

Thanks for the reply--very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    I am a decent with glazing putty but a license is required to set glass commercially in my state so all glass will be installed by a good local glazier.
    never heard of that, is it a historical preservation thing or does it apply to eveyrone?

I'm in CT, and as I understand it if your setting glass for money you need a glaziers license which requires a test and a fee. For restoration or basic repair of old sash I think the basic remodelers license covers it, not sure why? i think it has to do with new work versus old work. There is a fair amount of potential liability in hanging glass 50' in the air, so I see the practicality and public safety reasons for regulating it.

In my particular town you also need a building permit to replace a window, largely so they can charge you for the upgrade, as the cost of the permit is based on the value of the window being installed. That's more of a tax racket than a safety issue as they do not typically inspect the work!