Thread: PC routers: difference between 895PK and 894PK?

PC routers: difference between 895PK and 894PK?

can anyone tell me the difference between these kits?

I am looking for an all-in-one router motor that I can use for handheld edge profiling, plunging, and setting in my router table

Is the fixed base different for these 2 kits? Does the 894 not have any provision for thru-the-table hight adjustment? Is the dust collection better on one?

thanks in advance

Tyler,

I have the PC 89X and I remember going through exactly what you are describing when I was researching routers -- what is the difference?

I did my research a few years ago, but as far as I remember, there is no difference in terms of the router. All the PC 89X "kits" have the same motor with at least the same fixed base and plunge base. The different values of X imply different accessories. I think the 894 is the basic kit, the 895 comes with the over the table handle, but if you buy it separately, the fixed base is the same and will accept it. There's a kit that comes with the optional dust collection port, and there's a kit that comes with a D-handle as I recall.

It became a relatively easy decision for me, actually. I went to the BORG and found which one I could actually purchase. I think I got the 894. I have since purchased the above-the-table handle separately (came with the appropriate wrench for changing bits while in the table as well). I may have saved a few bucks if I ordered the 895, but since I didn't have to pay shipping, I probably came out even.

Long story short -- the core router is the same.

Hope that helps. Oh, by the way, it is really good router.

Cheers,

Chris

Here's the difference:

Comparison of 894PK and 895PK
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

thanks guys - it looks like I'll go with the 894 since the difference is basically the height adjustment wrench

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Davis View Post
    thanks guys - it looks like I'll go with the 894 since the difference is basically the height adjustment wrench
    which is if I recall correctly a 3/16" socket. If I were going to use this router in a table, I'd try some sort of speed wrench with the correct socket on it for raising and lowering the router. That should be quicker and less fatiguing than the knob setup. Router Raizer uses a home-made crank affair and it works great.

HTH

Curt

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kennedy View Post
    Tyler,

I have the PC 89X and I remember going through exactly what you are describing when I was researching routers -- what is the difference?

I did my research a few years ago, but as far as I remember, there is no difference in terms of the router. All the PC 89X "kits" have the same motor with at least the same fixed base and plunge base. The different values of X imply different accessories. I think the 894 is the basic kit, the 895 comes with the over the table handle, but if you buy it separately, the fixed base is the same and will accept it. There's a kit that comes with the optional dust collection port, and there's a kit that comes with a D-handle as I recall.

It became a relatively easy decision for me, actually. I went to the BORG and found which one I could actually purchase. I think I got the 894. I have since purchased the above-the-table handle separately (came with the appropriate wrench for changing bits while in the table as well). I may have saved a few bucks if I ordered the 895, but since I didn't have to pay shipping, I probably came out even.

Long story short -- the core router is the same.

Hope that helps. Oh, by the way, it is really good router.

Cheers,

Chris
    Wish I could help you...I was on the same quest a few months ago and went for the Milwaukee 5616-24 multibase kit for less money!
    There will never be a shortage of folks telling you why you can't or shouldn't do something...even though much has been accomplished that hasn't been done before !