Thread: Information Form for explaining the wood etc., request

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Information Form for explaining the wood etc., request

I am new at entering and actively using the forum, so if this is not something that is allowed on this forum, please tell me and explain. Thank You

I would like to know if anyone has a "Form" they use to explain each of their pens and pencils at a craft show. (Like the type of wood it is etc..)
    I know one pen turner had business cards made up for each pen she sold with the history of the wood, which I thought was great.

Thanks.

Russell - Welcome to the Creek! Great question..... you should get lots of feedback! Looking forward to seeing some of your work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Information "Form" request

I've only started pen turning within the last two (2) weeks.
    I recently purchased a Jet variable speed mini lathe and so far I really like it.
    So I'll have to take some pictures of what I have turned so far and learn how to upload them. Thanks for your response.

I don't as yet have a form per say, And I also have double the info to produce as everything here has to be in french and english, but I am doodling around with some info cards that describe the type of wood, where it comes from, and if applicable, some documented proof of the history of the actual piece of wood used. Problem being that every time I use a new wood essence, I have to go through the whole thing again until I build up my library. It is a time consuming sidebar to the actual product, but it does get some good reviews and of course, pics always help. Also, if applicable, the old disclaimer that this wood is harvested by using recycled material or by pruning of trees gets a lot of feedback.
    measure, cut, shake head

An excellant question!

I have used many types of wood in my life, and have been making pens for a few yearsnow to try to use up some of the woog I have collected over the last forty years or so. Problem though is thatI keep picking up more and cannot remember wny more what they wre called. What I would like to see is a tag that would slip through the clip, and partialy peel and stick to itself and not the pen A form like that would solve our problem maybe?
    Bob

I'm not sure about the form - but I could see a hang tag with information about the wood, finish, turner, etc. My thought is people like to be sold something they are buying. Get them to justify the purchase in their head.

"I bought this pen and it was done by a great local artist, he lovingly selected only the best locally grown hardwood, he only eats free range chickens, blah blah blah... That is why it was worth $35.00"

You can buy a dozen pens at Mega-Lo-Mart for $1.99 - why is yours worth more?

I don't have a form as such but I have a supply of those little brown envelopes 2 1/2 x 4 1/4. I have one for each pen and I put in a business card, a small card on the care of the pens, a gift tag, a card explaining the pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project and a card where I write the style of pen and material it is made from. If I have wood information cards or authenticity certificates like you get with Bethlehem Olive Wood I include that. The peacekeepers card and the pen care card are printed on both sides so I use standard business card stock for them and the other cards I print on glossy photo paper.
    Rick
    I support the Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project

I agree with what Jim and Rick said. I don't sell my work, because I simply don't have the quality or volume, but from a marketing standpoint, you need to give the customer a reason to buy, and pay the price you are asking! More than just pens, you should do this with all products. Tell the prospective customer a story about the product that adds value. Hand made, local wood, historic wood, prunings, dipped in martian health serum when you were abducted by aliens , or what ever adds value and interest to your work (as long as it is true). Make them feel special for becoming a part of it's existence. I would include a card with info such as wood type, where and why harvested, Artist's name and short biographical info, and especially important... care instructions. It is more valuable if it has to be taken care of. I wouldn't put it on the back of your business card. Make a seperate card that has some sort of hang tag if the peice has a method of hanging the tag. Put a few of your business cards with the piece, so they can be handed out to those that admire the new owners artistic taste. Then the value added tag doesn't go away.

Now what is this stuff about $39.95? This is a hand made piece of art. Look at the cost of some of the high quality writing instruments sold as gifts. You won't find many for $39.95. Most start at $99.99 and go up from there, and get this...they are machine made, with in some cases (the really expensive ones) a few hand embelishments. Don't underprice your self.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Penn State Industries has several Wood Identification Fact Cards that may be similar to what you want. They have a limited selection of species but you could definitely start with that to create your own.

http://www.pennstateind.com/library.php and scroll towards the bottom.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

Hello All,

As far as identifying wood in my stock, I will use a magic marker on it as soon as I acquire it. I will not put out a turned piece without being able to identify the wood. You will be surprised at how fast you are able to remember histories of wood and their location.

I put a small tag on the clip of each pen that describes the wood and country of origin and the price is on the back. I group pens by continent and have a laminated business card that calls out the continent. If someone is interested in a particular pen and it has a history or story I will relate this to them. I hand out a business card with every pen.

As an interesting side note I was talking to a customer at a show and relaying the history of pink ivory, and then possibly related a tale about another wood. When that person left a fellow who was standing next to him picked up a pen from South America and said "What is the story with this wood", as it happened I had no history on that particular wood and had to tell him it was a beautiful wood from South America.

Early on in doing shows I read that what you are selling is a part of your self when you sell crafts. I try to deliver this with my enthusiasm about my craft and my love for wood.

Regards, Steve