Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Machine to buy

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quadarella View Post
    Matt you're absolutely right about the bandsaw and sheet goods/wide crosscuts. But that's why people are recommending circular saw guides or Eurekazone stuff with it. The EZ stuff is way better for sheet goods and cross cuts than a tablesaw. There's no pushing giant panels through a saw, just lay it down and cut.

The real place a tablesaw gets missed is in strange non-through bevel cuts and the like, most of which has to be recreated on a router or sliding miter saw. There's also a ton of jigs and information on table saws out there, which can be helpful.

Just wanted to add that the EZ system also appears to be portable in a way that no tablesaw can match.

Jacob, the cabinet you built for your brother looks great.

You are a smart young man to start collecting your tools for the future. I remember being in your position except I was using tools at my father's shop not those of an employer. My suggestion to you is that you buy quality equipment and tools no matter what you buy. No, they don't have to be expensive, but don't fall into the mistake I made at your age of buying tools as cheaply as possible. I can say that all the power tools that I bought early on were junk and I had to purchase more expensive equipment to replace them when they broke.

What you buy will depend on many factors. What you plan to make is most important. You can't make things out of wood without the right tools. Your budget is another major factor. Buy what you can afford without going into debt. The other important factor to consider is what tools do you have readily available that you can depend on using for the next few years without the person who owns them getting upset. I'm sure that others will over other factors to consider as well as advice. Good luck.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Nice looking cabinet Jacob.

I would go with a tablesaw first

As far as building side jobs, I can only do them if it is a non profit job, I don't sell anything I make for more than material cost alone, (obviously I do alot of free labor for Family and friends!!)

The only thing is, as unbelievable as it sounds, our shop doesn't have a planer or jointer, we do have a 40" wide-Belt but everything we buy is S3S and we do few glue-ups most of our panels come from plywood that is edgebanded or our raised panels are pre-fabbed by northern contours (great product by the way they are ready to finish as soon as they arrive)

Thanks for the input, It'll be a while before I get it I have to get my shop in order first.

Hi Jacob, welcome to the forum.

When I look back over my tool and machinery purchases, I always come back to the same two thoughts;

1) Purchase the best quality tools you can, don't skimp or you'll just replace them later.

2) Make your first major machinery purchase a good quality cyclone with good filters, sized large enough for your future needs.

I know, you can't cut wood with a cyclone, however you can make your shop more pleasant to work, and keep your health so you can enjoy your shop into your retirement years.

Regards, Rod.

Well, I wouldn't buy a dust collector before I bought machinery -- after all, what would be the point? -- but it's a good idea to buy it at the same time or as soon after as you can; dust and shavings all over the place are totally annoying, a health hazard and safety issue, etc.

Jacob,

Welcome to the Creek, Rod and Frank both make valid points, I would suggest watching the classifieds on this site and watching things like Craigs list. I picked up a very nice PM66 last Novenber from a local member here at the Creek, also talk to your boss, he may be able to get you a deal since he is a business owner. Your boss may have very good relationships with machine companies and may be able to help you out, they obviously like you since they allowed you to use their equipment for a personal job, nice work BTW. I would also suggest that you add your location to your profile, never know what might be right next door, I have a used contractor saw that needs a new home ( adoption fees are very reasonable).

Heather
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.