Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Photo Lighting Help

reflections

One note about reflections. To eliminate all reflections may not be desirable. I have used reflections in well placed locations for dynamic impact. Adjust your lights around until it reflects where you want it to.

I have brushes in Photoshop that add reflection and sparkle stars. Funny how things are. Like one man's firewood is another man's opportunity for expression.

If you are using more than one light and find you need more light in one certain area, white foam boards make great reflectors. By setting up the lights and moving foam board back and forth from the top you can direct more or less light onto the subject. Most Commercial photographers work with no more than 3 lights the rest is usually done with reflectors.

lighting

Hi ... I have been making stuff professionally for almost 30 years and for the first 20 of them had work photographed by a professional photographer. He was fantastic and taught me many things but he retired 10 years ago and I've been on my own since. You can figure it out. It's a 'you have to spend the time to learn it' thing. I've gotten great help from professional photographers in my area who are willing to share. Or, hire one for an hour consultation. It will probably be money well spent and save you a lot of time. The white balance tips in the other posts are right on ... your light source needs to be consistent and balanced on all sides of the object. We block out the daylight with felt window covers when we shoot, or shoot at night in a dark room. If you're photographing larger furniture outside your tent, you will probably need to correct for lens distortion and parallax, a MOST important thing for furniture photographers. I have posted detailed instructions for that on my blog at http://dorsetcustomfurniture.blogspo...6/fix-pix.html ... This tip can keep your furniture from looking like it's taking off or wider at the top than the bottom. Good luck ...dan

Thanks Phillip it sounds like it going to be fun to play with.

Thanks Denny I am going to start with two lights, the clip on reflector type.

Thanks Dan, great blog, what a neat way to show off your custom work to your customers. Very nice work. Great idea about getting a photographer to show me the ropes. I am sure that would speed up the learning curve.

Tent should be here late next week was on back order so it does give me some extra time to learn my camera setting. I am lucky, I have a basement to set up my photo tent in. May sound strange, but in Arizona they didn't build many basements. Thanks to all for all of your info and suggestions.....Bruce