Thread: Dewalt Tracksaw first use and pictures

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Dewalt Tracksaw first use and pictures

Tracksaw came in today. Started to use it to get the feel of it.

Packaging is standard Dewalt fair. Huge plastic box for the saw with cardboard sleeve and zip tie holding case closed. Guide was in a cardboard box with 1/8" hardboard on the bottom. Packaging was just fine. my saw had a pair of clamps in it as well but that may have been added by Dewalt before shipping the saw to us.

There is a manual in the case and a small color quick start guide zip tied to the saw. The QS guide walks you through setting up the saw (includes mounting on the rail and removing any play while mounted on the track) and making the two zero clearance cuts on the rail edges - one on each side. The QS Guide also explains how to change the blade. I had read the manual online last night so I was familiar with the controls of the saw. If you follow the steps in the QS guide everything makes perfect sense.

I choose some 1/2" Birch Plywood scrap piece for the tests. I first made the cut using just the wood on my laminate table and the guide on that. The guide did not slip but the wood did. I found if I used a router anti-slip mat under the wood it worked great. The rail I have is 59". The work piece was 30" or so. I used strips at the ends of the rail to help support it across my table.

The saw moves on the guide SUPER smooth. You seriously can use this setup with one hand. The plunge action is also perfect. The Saw has variable speed but I have just used the max speeds so far. It cuts perfectly.

The guide is very nice and not flimsy. I also played with the anti-kickback setting - very slick idea. I was even able to make a dado with it. I am very impressed.

I lastly mounted it on the panel rack. Makes a slick table for pieces under 40" wide and 8' long plus. Again supports for the rail make the use very nice.

I will try and get my friends TS55 and do a heads up comparison.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike Heidrick; 10-09-2008 at 11:10 PM.