Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best router for a table

Best router for a table

Which one is it? I need to upgrade. I'll be doing a few raised panel doors, not a lot, but some. I'd like as much above the table adjustments as possible, and easy bit changes. Freud has a nice kit available, 2.5 HP, regular and plunge base with an aluminum router plate included, but the slide is jerky. I won't use the slide that much (I don't think), but does it work good in a table? Is 2.5 HP enough?

The Bosch 1617 is about the same price, the Triton looks pretty good too. I think the Milwaukee takes 2 wrenches tochange bits, not sure I'm thrilled about that either. Dewalt has some good reviews, and some bad.

None of them seems perfect, but which has the least evils?

Thanks, Gordy

Gordy,

I have been VERY happy with my Triton 2.25.

-Jerry

Blog Entries
    Milwaukee 5625 has served me flawlessly.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Milwaukee 5625 has served me flawlessly.
    +1 with a Woodpeckers Quick Lift

This router uses two wrenches but I like this better than a router with a collet lock and one wrench. On some single wrench models you have to reach under the table to engage the lock.

Mike

(some of the lifts are elgible for MS discount at eBay)

Blog Entries
    Two wrenches is definitely my preferred method; so controllable, so certain. And with the PRL (save an extra $20 with code LIFT20 this week), plenty of travel for the longest and shortest bits . . . sweet:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=89844
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 10-16-2008 at 11:21 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I use a PRL 1/16 pitch with a PC 7518. Never a problem.

There is no "best"...but there are several very good choices. Mine was the PC 7518, originally with a Route-R-Lift and now the Bench Dog lift in a Bench Dog cast iron top. The big Milwaukee is also a nice choice. I like big, 15 amp routers dedicated to a table.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Beyond common attributes, these features are often overlooked and are missing in many popular heavy-duty routers often recommended for table use:

• Significant extension of collet through the base plate.
      • You want to be able to raise a simple (e.g., a grooving or bull-nose) bit or a cabinet-door cope bit above the table top and above a 5/8"-thick sled plus enough additional to position the cut at the desired height.
      • It also assists in access for collet wrenches.
      • Many routers will not even allow the top of the collet to travel flush with the base plate.

• Large diameter base opening.
      • The opening in the router base should be large enough to drop a large diameter multi-profile bit through the opening to select the desired profile from the bit. I've had cases where I wanted to drop a large-diameter panel-raising bit below the table in order to use only a portion of the profile on a thinner panel.
      • A large diameter base opening also helps with collet-wrench access.

I have a P-C 7518 w/router lift and a Triton 3-1/4 HP mounted in tables.

I've been very happy with both. The Triton has a restricted base opening that I routed out to a larger diameter; and after ten years, I began having speed-control problems with the P-C 7518.

The DeWalt DW725 was highly recommended for router table use, but fails both of my above requirements. As much as I like DeWalt routers, I replaced it with the P-C 7518. I can't speak for other routers.

A year or so ago, (before I wised up and bought a shaper), I researched this subject to a standstill and my conclusion was the Milwaukee. Unfortunately this did not assist my cause, as it was not available in Australia.
    That helped push me to a shaper and I have never regretted it - Don't want to start a Shaper Vs Router Table argument here by the way.

I have used the Triton, a large Makita and the big Hitachi in a table and of the three, the Hitachi was my preference, but as you have the Milwaukee available to you, that would be my recommendation.

The Freud FT1700 and FT3000 and Triton MOF001 are the only routers I know of that offer easy above table bit changes with the spindle raised above the table. The FT1700 has an auto collet lock that allows one handed wrenching. Many offer above table height adjustment. I've had great luck with the FT1700...the above table features are great. It's powerful enough to do occasional raised panels but I tend to use my MW5625 for really heavy shaping.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I have not used the Milwaukee, but I can vote for the big Hitachi. I have both the old and new 15 amp routers and both do a great job.

Blog Entries
    I originally was using a Dewalt DW-618 2.25 HP router mounted to a Rockler Aluminum plate and that worked okay, but I ended up burning up the motor after about a year. Fortunately the router was still under warrenty, so Dewalt fixed it.

After that, I purchased the PC-7518 and a Mast-R-Lift and have been very pleased with it. Even though this is my current setup and I am very happy with it, I would agree with Jim that there is no "Best" Setup. My only reccomendation would be to go with a High HP router (and a lift if you have the budget for it).

I have the Freud FT3000 and am very pleased. Plenty of power and the above table adjustments work great, although I did adapt a rachet and socket drive which works much better than the provided wrench. It has the one hand bit change feature, as well. Soft start, variable speed.

Milwaukee 5625 3 1/2 HP for 6 years and will not be replaced as there is no need to. And I don't use a lift which I find to be no problem what-so-ever with this router.

Sarge..

I am voting here for the Hitachi MV12C - With a WoodPecker lift. I love the power the router - 3.25 hp. It scares me sometimes too!
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!