Thread: Situations where a Riving Knife would cause problems?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Danial, as an aside, I don't think you have the option of backing out of the EBAY transaction. Once you click, you're fully committed...they even flash a warning screen up about that. But you could likely resell the 1023SL for what you paid for it or more, especially if it's in good condition, if you decide to go with a saw equipped with a riving knife. Fred Voorhees recently bought the Jet and it's a very nice machine.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    If it extends above the blade then it isn't a riving knife...
    I beg to differ. My European saw has a steel plate almost the thickness of the blade that rises, falls, and tilts with the blade, is aligned with the blade, close to the blade, and is called a riving knife. But it normally extends an inch above the blade so a guard can attach to it (remember that non-through cuts are not allowed in Europe).

My saw can use either 10 inch or 12 inch blades. Therefore if you are using a 12 inch blade, you can lower the knife an inch, like you were using a 10 inch blade, and it is just below the blade height. You can now cheat and make non-through cuts. With a small grinding wheel and 10 minutes with a dremel, many users of my saw have extended the mounting slot, so that the knife can be run below the level of 10 inch blades as well.

If I ever used my dado blade (works on the North American version of my saw, but not legal in Europe) I would have to remove the riving knife. I also remove it if I have a stopped cut (very rare).