Thread: Hand make molding

Hand make molding

Hi All,

Do you have any ideas on Hand make molding? I'll try anybody ideas.
    Dick

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Heifner View Post
    Hi All,

Do you have any ideas on Hand make molding? I'll try anybody ideas.
    Dick
    It would help if we knew what you needed it for.

Please clarify your question a little...do you mean make the molding in your shop using power tools or with hand-planes? Different audience and if the latter, I'll move this thread to the Neander forum for comments.

And yes, I have made some molding and casework/trim in my shop using my router table.

Jim
    SMC Moderator.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hand make molding

Hi Guy's
    I need to make some simple moulding for on top off a T.V. cabinet, with a side cabinet on both side's of the main T.V. cabinet. This unit will be 8' long by about 2' wide. I need some type plain mouding to show across the main cabinet.
    Dick

dick, it might be easier to just go down to home depot and look at the different profiles they have available and then come back and ask how to make that specific profile or just buy it ready-made.

Dick I use a cove bit in a router to make simple molding. I like its look. I cut it on the edge of a 3/4" board and then rip it on the table saw. Sometimes I double it up.
    Fred

Dick,
    Using a router and a self-guided bit, one with a bearing surface, you can run molding down both sides of a reasonbly wide board, then rip the molding off on the table saw.
    You need a couple clamps, a router, a table saw, and a bit.
    Doing the molding down two side of the board and ripping it off may seem like a waste of wood, but it is both a handling and a safety issue. A wider board is easier to balance the router on and clamp down to a work surface.
    If you have a router table it is easier, and you no longer need a bit with a bearing as the router table fence will do that job.
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

+1 on Frank's rec: If all yr doing is a cabinet, it'll likely be cheaper to buy stock molding than to buy a bit w the profile you like and the wood.

You can make pretty intricate moldings by building them up. If you need em in a different type of wood, try a good lumber yard with a milling dept.

Did you mean hand made? Or home made? If hand made you need to make a scratch stock for simple beads or flutes, and you can make or buy wooden molding planes, or you can search for one of those stanley #55 molding planes with the multi profile knife kits. Some of the originals are quite expensive based on their antique value. Don't think they are made anymore. I have seen many old wooden molding planes that produce specific profiles for sale at local flee markets pretty cheap.

You can make something with a simple chamfer with a block plane, like a back bevel, that can be attractive.

The reason most moldings are machine made is they are fairly laborious to fashion by hand. Used to be only the very rich had moldings of any detail in their homes until the advent of steam powered millwork shops. Got a router?