Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did you ever

Did you ever

Did you ever buy a saw or other tool then read about another tool that made your purchase look anemic. I bought my 14 inch Griz band saw and am quite happy but then I got to reading about the new 16 or 17 inchers and got to wondering. there should be a rule that after you get your new tool you shouldn't read any reviews for at least.......... 2 years
    John Chase

Seems to happen everytime I buy something. The next week there is a new model that is bigger, higher, faster, deeper, cheaper, etc.

We need a technology freeze and only allow an incremental leap every three to five years where all the new stuff comes out at the same time.

Kinda like having techno Christmas.

Yes, I purchased a General 650 and then Felder opened a branch in town........Dang!

I had wanted one however when the dealer was in Winnipeg, it wasn't very convenient for me.

Now I guess it's sell the General time............Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnm Chase View Post
    Did you ever buy a saw or other tool then read about another tool that made your purchase look anemic...
    The only time that happens to me is every time I buy something. I think your "2 year" boycott is too short.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

The one thing I have noticed on woodworking message boards is the tools keep getting bigger and bigger. About 7 or 8 years ago the JET 6" jointer was all the rage. Everyone was buying one. Now you are looked down on if you don't own a 8". Could never figure out why 8". Yes it is better than a 6" but why not purchase a 12"? $$$$$$$
    I used a 4" jointer for years with no problem. Just all what you are use to.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Maybe I'm just a Luddite but I kinda like older design tools that were designed by engineers that believed in the K.I.S.S rule. I'm more bothered that companies like Porter Cable have discontinued their tried and true tools (what the PC reps call their Heritage line) such as the 503/504 "freight train" belt sanders, Model 310 and Model 100 routers, and 9118/126 door planer. I'm not so sure all the bells and whistles on many new tools is actually "progress".

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Ward View Post
    Mmmmmm, cognitive dissonance....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Yeah, that asian 14" bandsaw looked big compared to the Craftsman 12" till I got the 20" Powermatic -(-Now there was a 42" Oliver for hauling away --but I didn't have 440.----) But I never buy anything new anyway. I never did find out how old my J-line tablesaw is.

Blog Entries

How to avoid this

I have mixed feelings about this. First it is the American way bigger, faster, more, and cheaper. Personally I think we should modify this to Faster, more efficent, higher quality, and cheaper (exlude cheaper it needed to avoid chinese goods).
    But... I do love big woodworking machines! Why buy a 10" table saw when I can get a 12"? Everybody wants the the machine bigger than the other guys machine.

Recently I have avoided this by buying older equipment. I find that the history of the machine and the time you might spend refurbishing it negates these feelings. Example my father has a rockwell TS that came out of a wwII factory that rough cut lumber to be shipped to gun makers. Maybe not the most historically significant saw but it is very important to him. And the fact he has brought the saw back to life many times is of equal importance. My father would never trade this saw and there have been a few times we needed something larger. Many old TS have history like this, used in a factory a relative worked at or in a school you may have gone too etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Steiner View Post
    Recently I have avoided this by buying older equipment. I find that the history of the machine and the time you might spend refurbishing it negates these feelings. Example my father has a rockwell TS that came out of a wwII factory that rough cut lumber to be shipped to gun makers. Maybe not the most historically significant saw but it is very important to him. And the fact he has brought the saw back to life many times is of equal importance. My father would never trade this saw and there have been a few times we needed something larger. Many old TS have history like this, used in a factory a relative worked at or in a school you may have gone too etc.
    PSSST.... Hey Paul....
    Show this to your Dad:

That's a DOD WWII bench type drill press. Weighs about 500 pounds! I have it mounted to two old lathe legs and a plywood table.
    They real beauty of this old war horse is that the head moves up and down the massive column, leaving the table co-planer to the rest of the shops level surfaces.
    Love this old beast!

Tool Aholic

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Edmonds View Post
    PSSST.... Hey Paul....
    Show this to your Dad:

That's a DOD WWII bench type drill press. Weighs about 500 pounds! I have it mounted to two old lathe legs and a plywood table.
    They real beauty of this old war horse is that the head moves up and down the massive column, leaving the table co-planer to the rest of the shops level surfaces.
    Love this old beast!

When I grow up I wanna be like Sonny

A couple of years ago I talked SWMBO into a bench top drill press. The first time I used it I realized that the quill travel was far too limited for what I wanted it for. I wish that I had saved up for a floor model.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Smile Is that . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Berk View Post
    When I grow up I wanna be like Sonny
    Is that a spindle sander in your router table?

Nice shop . . .

Steve
    Support the "CREEK" . . .

My favorite is when you spend a pile of loot on a tool you need, then the danged thing goes on sale two days later, and you over paid by 50%... Or, just hypothetically speaking, you buy an Austrian combo machine for a substantial amount, without noting that the weak dollar is probably not going to stay weak. Two weeks later, guess what happens, hypothetically of course.