Thread: Cherry Natural Edge -Critique Requested

Cherry Natural Edge -Critique Requested

This is my 2nd attempt at a natural edge bowl. The wood was obtained from Got Wood? at turningblanks.net. They provide a great service for those who cannot get their own wood. It's 5 1/2" high X 8 3/4" wide. I had asked on this forum for suggestions on what to do with the cracks and as an experiment, I tried several of the responses. I used turquoise inlace on some, sawdust on some and left some alone. The main thing I learned though, is it's best to use the same thing on all cracks. Oh well, it's all about experimentation. I'm not happy with the shape and wish it weren't so rounded and bowl - like. I'm also not pleased with some of the tool marks on the inside of the bowl's highest areas (not visible in photos). The good things are the bottom which came out very well with a small, graceful foot, and the bark which was soaked with CA glue before turning and held rock-solid. Don't have a photo booth (?), just use a tee shirt on the bathroom counter. I appreciate your comments.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bill,
    That's a beautiful piece (I can't see the alleged defects from here). A rounded bowl-like shape is good for bowls (not so good for human body), although the foot could be a bit smaller. Nice job saving the bark. T-shirt is not bad, but could try white sheet (ironed and starched), then white poster board, then expensive graduated background, etc.

Read first sentence again. Looking forward to seeing some more of your work.
    Richard in Wimberley

Looks good to me!

Bill, The shape is fine, not every blank holds the perfect bowl! THe finish looks good and the bark edge is great! Tool marks are some thing that we all deal with and with a NE turning it seems to happen more often as we tend to be a little more careful around the bark and the airspace between the high spots while the blank is spinning. What I have learned over time and through some videos is that when doing the finishing cuts on a NE turning, try to complete all the cuts and some sanding in steps as you go towards the bottom of the piece. This gives the edge some more strength as the rest of the bowl is still pretty solid. So if you turn in an inch or so to the thickness you want and make sure all the cuts are clean and a light sanding, you can work your way to the bottom and away from the edge.

What this does is keeps you from going back and trying to make a finishing cut near the edge and having the bowl flex and not cut cleanly. But I still end up sanding some marks out sometimes.

Hope this helps! ( I am long winded again)

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Bill - I think you did an excellent job on this, especially considering it is your second one! That's really some nice work! Comments have already been made on tool marks - it is something we all have to contend with. I have to agree with your statement about using the same method for filling the cracks in any given piece. That adds to the continuity of the turning - in my opinion.

Only other point is about the foot. Everyone has an opinion when it comes to footed bowls or hollow forms. Some like them - some don't, but generally a smaller profile foot is more acceptable to the masses. But, you are the artist and you have to turn what pleases you.

Very nice work! Like the others, I look forward to seeing more of your work real soon!
    (I wanted to give Jeff a run for his money on being long-winded.........)
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Great looking bowl. The foot is pleasing to some and not to others. I started with a foot on my bowls but since like them better with just a concave bottom. Keep'em coming.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

beautiful beautiful color!
    The Country Toad Workshop Rogersville, Al

Bill,
    Looks good to me. I turn alot of Ne's and it's hard not to get some tool marks at the top do to half the wood not being there. You just need to power sand that area.

Bob

Very nice

Bill,
    It sure looks good to me.
    Once again the "CREEKERS", come through with good advice.
    I sure like Jeffs' responce, thanks for posting that Jeff.
    Roy
    Walk fast and look worried.

about the foot thing, if that bowl is 5 inches tall and 8 across, i wouldn't have made the foot any smaller just for stability sake, i read a lot of peoples comments and they make the feet real small, and visually, i think that is best, makes it look like its floating or something, but for functionallity, i want to be able to throw an apple in it and it not fall on the floor and crack. just my 2 cents.

art - go for looks, small feet

functional piece - make it usefull.

Second one eh? Well thats amazing I think! I have a pile of "first, second, third fourth etc ones" out back of the shop!! LOL Good job!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

very nice, i have heard that the sapwood is lighter the greener the wood, do you know when the tree was cut?? cherry cracks very easily usually when in log form