Thread: Lunch-box Planer: DW734 vs DW735

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lunch-box Planer: DW734 vs DW735

I am extremely new to woodworking (just started a couple of months ago, after finally buying a house and taking over one half of my 2 car garage!). I plan on building my skills slowly, starting with small and simple projects and progressing towards more involved ones as I learn.

Before I go any further, I just want to say that I believe SMC is a wonderful place. I am always amazed by the skill of the people around here and their willingness to share information and help each other.

...now on to the question:

After reading many threads around here, I have pretty much settled on Dewalt for my first benchtop planer. The question now is which one to choose, the 734 or the 735?

The 734 goes for ~$400 and the 735 for ~$550 (when you include the extension tables). As I understand, the extra 1/2 inch, dust ejection chute and two speeds are the main differences between the two. Is there something else I am missing? Is the extra weigth of the 735 a substantial plus? (i.e.: less vibration) is the 735 built to better standards?

I am ready to spend the extra money for the 735 if warranted, but so far, the 734 looks like it can meet my needs nicely.

Any input is greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by Augusto Orosco; 01-28-2008 at 1:57 PM.