Thread: Thanks for the help....bookcase pics

Thanks for the help....bookcase pics

I'd like to thank everyone (especially Mike Suiter, he has some of his work at suiteronline.com) for help on my first big project.

It's a copy of this bookcase: http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=996&f=22558

Made from solid ash, joined with rabbets/dados, a couple of half laps and Miller dowels (I have a detailed sketchup file if anyone wants it) and the finish is ebozined with India Ink and Waterlox (3 coats of original/2 coats of 50/50 orig/satin per Mike)....

It came out great (for a first project)....Some things I learned were to apply thinner coats of waterlox, the finish is a bit 'heavy', however noone but me notices...Also, ash is a splintery wood, extra care is needed if you even look at the edges or corners funny. I also learned that tackling this complex of a finishing schedule requires plenty of patience at my beginner level and that there is no such thing as too much india ink The black is a little weak in spots....

Again, thanks, and when I get the back finished and installed, I'll take some more pics....

JC
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jared, looks real nice, especially for a piece that you were teaching yourself joinery. I'd like to see more pics, as the finish looks real intriguing.

Jared,

My brother has been pushing me to make a bedroom set with that finish, but I was worried on the correct method. Can you detail what you did as it looks GREAT!!

Jared,
    Gerat job on the bookcase. In the picutes, the finish looks great.

Jared, It looks great. LOML and I are trying to transition from a house furnished by the Pottery Barn Outlet to higher quality pieces. We like the style, but would like less mdf/more long-term durability. You've given us a great example of how to do that.

What were your total project costs and time to complete? Where did you get your India Ink?

As far as the finish, Mike came up with the process, but here is what I did....I used 2 coats of India Ink (don't skimp! Use a flashlight and get it all BLACK), then I used 3 heavy coats of Waterlox original (though I would recommend thinner coats), then 2 coats of 50/50 Waterlox original and Satin.... I sanded lightly with 400 before the last coat and thinned the mixture (per Mike) with a little Mineral spirits to help reduce streaking.

I found it helpful to go over the last coat with light strokes along the grain...

As for cost, it came out to about 25-30BF of Ash @ $2.85 (Ash is the cheapest wood in my area, luckily, its takes india ink well). 3 2oz bottles of india ink (speedball brand from Michaels) @ 6 bucks a piece and the normal expendables....So probably around $100 or a little over....

Time to complete was about 25-30 hours....minus finishing time...several days there.....