Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's All Dave Anderson's Fault

It's All Dave Anderson's Fault

One year ago, I was delightfully cruising the "other" forum here at SMC, blithely burning electrons with the majority, and getting my youngest off to school in Boston. In Oct. we went to Boston for Parent's Wekend, and having heard about how much fun it was to visit other woodworkers, I arranged to meet Dave Anderson. He is a nice enough guy on the surface, but then I made the fatal blunder! I went into his shop. Now if any one out there wants to know the definition of the "slippery slope",... it is Dave's basement stairs To show you haw slippery it is, I even went back for a tool auction!
    Having slid so far in a year, I was running out of bench space so decided to build a plane cabinet. This was going to be a quick utility cabinet out of Borg plywood, until my Neander skills were such that I could truly do one justice. After a very frustrating weekend with theKreg jig it sat for a while. During one of the Thur. nite hand tool chats, I discussed the plywood with Richard Gillespie. He had problems with rust using ply, and I was concerned that the 1/8 cork wouldn't be enough, so I set some old (new Stanleys) on it for a month as a test. No rust .
    The ply carcase is "blonde wood" from the Blue Borg...have no idea what is is, but is very similar in color to Prima vera. I decided to spruce it up a little. The faux panels hide the screw holes! All the solid pieces were jointed and surfaced without electrons...just about the extent of my Neander skills at this point. The darker wood is Tzalam. Finish is GF Arm-R-Seal.
    Thanks for letting me share
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yup...you slipped right down that slop, big guy! Very nice cabinet to compliment your most excellent selection of planes. (I wish I had a wall to hang a cabinet like this one on...that's the downside to lots of windows, I guess)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

3. Very nice one, Mark!

Yet another one for inspiration when I go to make a new one. I like the wood contrast. There but very complimentary. Nice job on the faux panels, too. Good way to hide the screws. Well done.

Mike

Looks nice. Now don't buy any more, or you'll be making an addition to that nice looking cabinet. Lol

Mark,
    That is a real nice job and a great place to store your planes. Good job--but as Steve mentioned, it looks like you'll need another cabinet in short time.

Tom

Mark,

THe rack looks great!! Nice efficient storage. And good job using those planes - they are fun!

Nice #8 there.....BTW

If we ever get to the opposite ends of the state - lets do lunch!!

Terrific design, Mark (I think I will keep a copy for reference). But not enough planes! You gotta work on that side.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Mark, great job on the cabinet. Now repeat after me "more planes....need more planes" You know that this is just the beginning. Great collection of useful instruments in a nice house.

You ever see an english teacher grade a term paper on nuclear physics.

Well, lets see..... There is a Lie Nielson, a record bailey, a stanley 45, either a primus or an ECE pear wood finishing plane, a record #9, and shucks, the response form does not allow us to view pictures.

This is a nice cabinet but I see some vacant space. I think a DSP Norris infill would look just swell in there. Esp. one with brass sides and rosewood or one with stainless steel sides and African Blackwood trimmed out in brass. Yuummmmmm Yummmmm!

Yup, your on the way down a slippery slope and you know you love it. Great job and keep up the good work!
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

I hear ya Mark! I find myself lurking here more and more, Then I begin to find myself reaching for those cordless things in the shop more and more. No, I've not slipped, YET.......... but is sure getting slicker.

Thanks to my friends at SMC (and watching David Marks), my planes are getting used more often, and I've recently discovered scrapers............. and the chisels seem to be out from hiding more often.............
    Tony

Mark,

You sure have dove in head first!! I haven't yet and I am resisting the pull, for now

Great job on the cabinet.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Nice!

Great till!

I saw a couple cherry handles in there and and a couple from our friends in Canada. The one I am really interesting in, is the one on the table. Is that a panel raiser?

Have fun and wait until you start getting into saws.....

Robert

To all, thanks for the kind words. I purposely didn't show it empty so the planes would take ones eyes away from the mistakes.

Robert, yes tht is a panel raiser. I doubt it can be used "as is", though I haven't tried yet. It was pretty cheap as these go, and I thought I might be able to use it as a pattern to try to make one. The cherry handled ones sure are nice to use.

Dev, good eyes. Yes LN, and Record, though 5 1/2 and #7. The combo plane is a #46. I've played around with it and like it.

When I started, it was only about half full! A friend of mine gave me the Records and ECE because he wanted to see them used, since he quit woodwotking about 10 years ago.

Mark....

Wow! I am green with envy. That is a super nice job. I may have to steel (I mean borrow ) some ideas from it.

You do good work and that is some plane collection you have.

Don't Blame Me Mark

Isn't it amazing that folks never take responsibility for their own addictions? It's always the fault of some other totally innocent party.

Your plane cabinet came out really well Mark. I strongly suggest however that you make a set of dimensioned sketches of it while things are still fresh in your mind. After all, you are going to need to make a mate for it very soon !! The few spaces left open just aren't going to be able to hold your soon to be acquired: 16pc half set of hollows and rounds, complex molding planes, infill smoothers, #98-#99 rebate trimmers, scraper planes, compass planes, #140 skewed block plane, and a few other miscellaneous items. The way I figure it, at a minimum, you're about 30-40 slots short. I sure hope you have a lot of wall space left unoccupied.

Now about that saw till.......
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH