Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Quality Grinding Extension Wing!!!

My Quality Grinding Extension Wing!!!

Yesterday was a good day. I met the UPS guy at the steps to my porch. "Man, this is darn heavy...", he said.

That's a whole lotta steel, my man!!

I hefted the box up onto the counter, and popped it open. I was met with this gleaming piece of steel...

It's a beautifully-crafted piece of work. Chris included three bolts that perfectly matched my saw...

Chris even autographed it for me!!!

Now came the fun part...getting this beast onto my saw. At this point, I'm going to advice all of you against doing it alone...which is how I did it. My entire house has been hit by the flu bug (including me), so nobody was available. But I just HAD to mount my new toy!! After assessing the situation, employing the use of some bracing, and a whole lotta patience, I finally got all three bolts in!!

Sure is purty!!!

The first thing I noticed is that I'm obviously going to need some bracing underneath. My plans are to build a cabinet.

Now, I have a question. This router extension replaced a smalled cast iron extension wing that came with the saw. That wing is only 10.25" wide. After standing and looking at the saw after I mounted the router wing, I started thinking, "Why couldn't I use the other wing, too?" Take a look at this picture...

I measured the length of the front and back rails, beyond the router wing, and there is plenty of room to mount the other wing. If I tapped the cast iron wing and the rails appropriately, and then braced everything, is there a reason that this wouldn't be a viable option?

I'll continue to update this thread as I install the plate and lift. Thanks for looking!

- Keith
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 12-10-2008 at 10:46 AM.
    "Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker. "

Blog Entries
    I have one CI wing and a router top to the left of my blade and 2 CI extensions to the right with a third waiting to go on during a shop re-org after the first. I have front and rear rail to ground support at both ends. The left side supported by the router cabinet, the right side by a storage cabinet. Even thought it is all bolted together, I sometimes get the feeling that the saw is just visiting the space in the middle of all this other stuff ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Nice looking extension there... Keith. I like the way the blanchard ground surfaces look.
    I have a phenolic router table to the left of my TS and moved the CI wing to the right side. Works just fine.
    I didn't bother drilling and tapping, I just transferred the holes, drilled them out a bit oversize and used a nut.... this makes alignment easier, if you used threaded holes, you have to be dead nuts.

No reason NOT to employ that original cast iron wing...just be sure you have the saw supported with some legs to keep it from tipping.

The Quality wing looks great! Congratulations again...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I agree. Sure is Purty.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Very purdy!

Congrats again!
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

Keith,

I ordered the 24in version from Quality Grinding. I asked Chris to drill holes on both sides of the extension so I could mount my existing 10in cast iron extension to the end. I wouldn't tap these holes, if your using 7/16 in bolts drill a 1/2 in hole so you have some wiggle room for adjustment.

I'm looking forward to see more pictures with the router lift.

~mark

Saweeeet. It's even better that you won it.
    Use the fence Luke

Keith,

That is really a beautiful piece of metal. How will you adjust the router plate? Will adjustment screws come with it?

Just curious.

Dwain

Congratulations Keith. Yep, I'm green with envy. That sure looks purdy on your saw. As long as you support everything adequately there is no reason you can't use the TS wing as well. That would make it even better. Mark has the right idea, "I wouldn't tap these holes, if your using 7/16 in bolts drill a 1/2 in hole so you have some wiggle room for adjustment."
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Looks like a beautiful unit there Keith. In use I would not want to reach in between the ends of those rails to use the router table, so i would either trim the rails, which seems like a crying shame if you have the space, or use the original iron wing and the new top.

I would get a mobile base for a cabinet saw which is long enough to support a unit with the long rails. you know the type I am talking about? Then you will still have mobility without adding bracing to the saws stand to keep it from tipping. Then I would replace the original iron top in its original location and connect the new top to the out side of that. Otherwise you will spend a life time of reaching over close to a 20' span to get to the collet, and reaching over 14" or so to use the miter gauge. I like TS out board mounted router lifts to be closer to the end. This will also give you some serious out board support for sheet goods and larger work. You may also find the TS fence makes a good fence for the router in many but not all situations.

I don't have an iron extension but I do have a lift in the out board and find it to be a great set up for my needs. Does a lot of work in a small foot print.

That's one sweet looking wing. The one thing I like about the metal wing is the ability to magnetic feather boards and the like on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Massery View Post
    That's one sweet looking wing. The one thing I like about the metal wing is the ability to magnetic feather boards and the like on it.
    that and the knowledge that you'll never be the one posting one of those "my router table is sagging" threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Clayton View Post
    that and the knowledge that you'll never be the one posting one of those "my router table is sagging" threads.

No, but he might be posting one about the concrete floor sagging!!!
    I agree with the others, that is beautiful! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Keith S,

Thats a nice piece if iron and I know you will enjoy using the new router table. Wait until you use it the first time, you will be impressed by the noise dampening. Make sure you invest in a varible speed router for your new table.