Thread: Veritas and Wolverine jigs...working together

Veritas and Wolverine jigs...working together

G'day...

I'm posting this for anyone who wants to use these two superior grinding systems to capitalize on their individual strengths.

I use the Veritas system for sharpening plane irons and chisels, but found it not well-suited to sharpening turning tools. Hence, I ordered a Wolverine jig (plus a Vari-grind accessory). Not wanting to have TWO separate grinding systems, I was concerned that the two would not "work and play well together." (Yes...Oneway does offer a really nice "flat tool" jig for use with their Wolverine system. But I already invested the money in a Veritas system. And...sometimes you just gotta avoid the VORTEX!)

Well...at least in my hands, the two systems are compatible with one another, although you can't have the two set up at the same time.

Here's how my system works: I have a Delta GR450 (8" variable speed) grinder mounted on a piece of 3/4" MDF that measures 16"D X 32"L. Because my shop is small, I put the mounted grinder on a bench, B&D Workmate, or over sawhorses.

The GR450 is tall enough that the mid-point of the arbor is at 6 1/2" above the mounting board, which is exactly where the Wolverine directions say it should be. So...no additional riser platform is needed.

Initially, I had the Veritas table mounted about 2" in front of the grinder wheels. I have only one Veritas table, so I drilled mounting holes to move the table, if needed, from one side of the grinder to another. The table is mounted using carriage bolts and wingnuts, which makes removal and moving easy.

As it turns out (no pun intended), the bases for the Wolverine jig mount directly under and flush with the fronts of the grinding wheels. Hence they DO NOT interfere with the mounting of the Veritas jig. Moreover, the bases of the Wolverine jig are just high enough to allow both the table and "Vee-arm" to side over the mounting board (despite the presence of a projection of metal on both tools below the horizontal mounting arm).

So...when I want to grind plane irons or "flatstock" chisels, I simply pull the Wolverine table and "Vee-arm" off the grinding system (of course, leaving the mounting bases where they are) and mount the Veritas table. That gives the "best of both worlds" for my particular needs.

Hope this helps if you're facing the same quandary that I was a few days ago.
    Phil

Phillip.

I also have both and have been wondering how to mount both on the same grinder. Please post some pictures if you can!!!!!
    Thanks

Pictures of the setup(s)...

Here are two photos of my grinding setup.

One photo shows the Wolvering grinding jig. Just to the left of the "Vee arm" you can see two pencil lines. The first is 3" from the front of the mounting board. The second represents where the front edge of the Veritas jig falls. That second line is 2 3/4" away from the front of the Wolverine base...so neither interferes with the other. The second photo shows the Veritas jig attached in front of my 60 grit wheel; this jig could also be mounted on the left in front of the 36 grit wheel as well.

In anticipation of someone asking...the small mirror is mounted there to allow me to see the side of the wheel and tool as it's being ground. A brass angle gauge is lying on top of a shop-made angle reference for checking and setting angles.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Phillip H Smith; 05-23-2007 at 5:08 PM. Reason: Added addt'l info.
    Phil

Phil,

I realize that this thread is 8 years old at this point, but wanted to add a note.

I have the same setup, and am about to make a mounting board for them. However, I also have the Wolverine dressing jig. Unlike the Vee arm and the flat platform, it extends a few inches below the jig base. I believe this is why OneWay says that the front of the jig bases must be within 1/2" of the front of the mounting board.

To use the dressing jig with the Veritas jig, you need to do (at least?) two things:

1. Cut a slot into the board in front of each base, long enough to be within 1/2" of the base, and wide enough for the dressing jig to slide through and be useable (part of the jig moves side-to-side as you use it).

2. Drill the mounting holes for the Veritas jig far enough apart to miss the slot.

I was considering making a small board to mount the Veritas jig on, wide enough to bridge the slot in the main board. Then, one could drill holes farther away from the slot than the Veritas jig allows and use some quick fastening system to move it from one wheel to the other. BUT, it would also raise the bottom of the Veritas jig upward - I haven't thought through how this would affect its use.

Anyway, just some thoughts for anyone who may be considering this.

Thanks for the post and pictures!
    Randy

I made a jig out of square tube stock and a block of wood to hold a Veritas platform in the Wolverine jig. The platform is held on with 1/4-20 carriage bolts and wing nuts, is easily removable and may be remounted in front of my other grinder without the Wolverine jig if needed there.
    P1170808.JPGP1170805.JPGP1170807.JPG
    Last edited by Paul Saffold; 08-20-2015 at 1:44 AM.

My grinder is mounted on a piece of plywood with feet, and the Veritas is mounted to the same in the front of the grinder (left side wheel). The right side is free for other wheels (wire, buffing, etc.). So the entire unit is moved (and clamped) on my workbench as needed, and put aside when not needed.