Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guess I blew it.....

Blog Entries

Guess I blew it.....

Well, today is my LOML & my 5th year anniversary. And me, being me, took her word that "I don't want anything" at face value..... in terms of getting her a gift....

But, after talking to several gals in the office, I discovered that the old "I don't want anything" is a ruse.... a test....

And....the worse part.... the traditional 5th anniversary gift is WOOD! Unless she wants the humidor that I'm working on.... If there ever was a good reason to build something for the wife, this was it. I guess I blew it!

Oh, heck no.

Get a card, flowers and tell her in the card that you will build whatever she wants. The important thing is getting her something she will like.

Good Luck,
    Tom
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.

Good call Tom, I agree with your advice.

I came home the other evening from having a beer with some guys after work, and I didn't order any dinner because I had planned to eat with my girl that night. She said "Why'd you come home, you could have stayed out as long as you wanted!".... sure... she says that after I'm home already!

Congrats on the 5 year anniversary! I think deciding on what she wants and even giving her some design input will be fun, it's a way she can get involved and participate and will hopefully make the gift more meaningful. I try to keep my girl up to date on what I'm doing, so she doesn't wonder why it takes so long for me to complete a project!

Then there was the Valentines Day when I bought Diann two tires for her motorcycle, based upon the slogan "Nothing says true love like a new pair of Michelin's" or words to that effect.

Well the guys at work were convinced that I'd be on my way to being single again, however she was extremely pleased.

Just goes to show that whatever she wants is the correct decision.

That said, the previous post about giving a gift card for home made whatever is a great one.

By the way, Happy Anniversary.............Regards, Rod.

Ed,
    Whatever you do, don't buy her cut flowers. Lot's of gals take that as a sure sign you are having an affair with another woman.......
    Rich S.

If you have a Rockler, Woodcraft, or other wood store open in the evening, take her out to eat but stop by on the way there aand tell her to pick out the type of wood for something she'd like to have built. Doesn't mean you have to buy the wood there if you have a better supplier, but at least you have her input. Congrats on the 5 years!! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Take her out to a nice dinner and then start a discussion, "On just what she didn't want"! Or just cut a heart out of nice piece of wood and cut or Print a BIG 5 on or in it.
    Last edited by harry strasil; 06-03-2009 at 11:26 AM.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Blog Entries
    I think I'll go with the "Gift Card".....

I just can't believe that I missed the "Wood" anniversary.....

You haven't missed it yet!
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Ed.. you are old enough and should be experienced enough to know "I don't want anything is a ruse without the girls at the office having to advise you.

And all she has to do is ask for something wooden and you simply pop it out in a few days so... I'm going against the flow (which is good advice by the way) here and suggest Dinner where you present her with a simple necklace or possibly a charm bracelet with attachable charms with her kids names on them.

A wooden present from you is pretty predicatable so.. surprise her with something she would never expect from a man and that lives and breathes wood normally. Variety my man.. variety..

Good luck and BTW.. my dog house is available at only $39 a night but the towels are scratchy and it in on a "dead zone" for cell phones I am told.

Sarge..

A nice gold necklace with a petrified wood heart 'stone' pendant.....

Get her a Tennis bracelet and tell her the "custom jeweler" hadn't finished it in time.

The last time SWMBO said she didn't want anything, I ignored it and bought something anyway.

Well, she actually meant it and didn't get me anything thinking she had made the "no gifts this year" clear.

You haven't blown it at all Ed, card, flowers, dinner and a show will impress and you can still build her something, and by show, no movies; Terminator Salvation would not be cool!
    AB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sallee View Post
    And....the worse part.... the traditional 5th anniversary gift is WOOD!
    I pulled this same goof and cranked these out right quick. I had three evenings though, you are on a bit tighter timeline. Good luck.

P.s. Never believe that line again.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler