Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: couple of hollow things with holes and finials

couple of hollow things with holes and finials

I submitted my entries for the B&B contest, and I thought I'd post them here for some C&C.

They're both about 8.5" tall and 5.5" wide. One is local elm burl with blackwood accents, and the other is buckeye burl with blackwood accents. Just for giggles, the finial on the buckeye piece was threaded. Both finished with shellac and formby's tung oil finish.

Comments, criticism, and suggestions always appreciated.
    Double-Elm-Burl-HF1.jpgDouble-Elm-Burl-HF2.jpgDouble-Elm-Burl-HF3.jpgDouble-buckeye-HF4.jpgDouble-buckeye-HF2.jpgDouble-buckeye-HF3.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Very well done, David.......very creative with your finials........the replication of the form in them is just superb! I like the threading, and with all the voids, there must have been some pucker factor with these............did you wrap the outside to keep it stable while spinning?

I think these should place well in the contest.......providing they allow you to compete since being a moderator..........you might not be eligible for prizes, but they show real nice.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

These are great David, I love the finial on the second, nicely done all around

both are very nice, the buckeye burl is eye candy

David, those are amazing! I love them both, but what is B&B?

Thanks folks! Roger, no wrapping on these... I like the self ejecting chip function of the voids, so I choose not to wrap usually. I'm not sure my moderator status would keep me out of the prizes, but the fabulous entries by others most certainly will!

Kelvin, the Beauty and Beast contest is a wood turning contest on the woodturnersamerica website... The deadline is not for another few days if you've got any interest.

These are really great, you are doing some fine work. They are both beauties, which is the beast?

David, we leave for 6 weeks in Sierra Leone on Sunday, so no turning for me for a while! However, I'm looking forward to the trip and maybe I'll bring back some African Rosewood?

We all have our own personal favorites when it comes to turning styles. One of mine happens to be natural edged burl pieces. That said, these two pieces just might be two of the best I've ever seen. Keller, I can't even think of the words to express how much I like both of these. They're just incredible!

I love them both David! Love the finials, both are original and creative. The only crit I would offer is that they're in your house and not mine! lol
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

David both are beautiful. I really love those finials and the forms on both are just outstanding.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Phenomenal. Great job.
    Thanks,
    Chris
    C&C Always Welcome
    Hello, my name is Chris, and I am a turnaholic..............
    Hiiii Chris

David , both of these are very, very nice. Creative, artistic......and lots of holes!! I really like your work on the finials. I'm not educated on the B&B rules, but if they have to be a bit ugly for the beast part, I wouldn't think these are them. I like them.

Wow they look great I especially like the finial with the miniture replica in it. very creative very impressive!
    Grandpa always told me. "A good woodworker is not one that makes no mistakes. A good woodworker is one who knows how to cover up his mistakes."

Impressive to look at David...can't imagine doing a turning with so much air. I see other posts referencing your fondness for holes in pieces...guess you showed it again.

So where do you find these burls with all the natural voids and defects? Scrounging in the woods or are they purchased?
    Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.
    1 Thessalonians 4:11-12