Thread: Angle Grinder Help

Angle Grinder Help

I've been watching too much of David Mark's lately and have decided to purchase an angle grinder to help shape chair seats and other thick materials. I noticed that he used what appeared to be a Dewalt. Any advice on manufacturer, size, type, etc would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Jim

I have the inexpensive all plastic Dewalt which works fine for the limited use I have for it. My welder friends who use these tools constantly recommend Bosch.

I have DeWalts, big and little. Let me say this, the 7" ( I think) is for Paul Bunyun. It weighs a ton. The smaller one is available in two different amp ratings. I have the bigger amps, but forget what they are. I use it quite a bit. You can get wheels in a variety of styles at welding shops, some you will not see at ww'ing places.
    Every deed plants a seed.

Jim, I bought a refurb 4" DeWalt a couple years ago and it's worked fine. I haven't purchased a "carving" head for it, but if I ever get back to my chair project, I just may. Darn thing is very noisy, however...hearing protection is a must. It's about as nasty as my biscuit joiner.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

bosch for the 4" milwaukee for 7"

I have the 7" DeWalt and use it mainly for rough work since it is heavy, great for that. I also have a 4" Hitachi with a carving head that is great for smaller work. For work as you are talking about I would go for one of the 4" models because they are lighter and easier to move around.

Howard

I have a small DeWalt. I think it cost just under $50. at Home Depot. I use it to shape chair seats. I use the 4.5 inch rubber backpad with the sandpaper disks. It removes wood very fast. I have to use it outside because of all the sawdust that it kicks up. I think that it works very well for my purposes.
    Pete Lamberty

I have the Makita 4 1/2" angle grionder and, while it's very loud also, it sure gets it on in the grinding department. I really like it but I don't do any wood shaping with it. Just normal grinding stuff. I think I got it for under $50 as well with a bonus diamond blade for concrete cutting.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Thumbs up As Usual, the "Creek" comes through

Thanks for the quick feedback on the angle grinder. I posted the question, changed clothes, drank a cup of coffee and came back to find a wealth of info and experience with angle grinders. I went out and bought the 4.5 " Dewalt (10amp model). Should be plenty for what I need. Now, if I can just get enough shop time to test it out!

Jim