Howdy Folks. I wanted to ask some question about the tender subject of the SawStop cabinet saw. Especially of those who use it professionally and have owned a Saw Stop for awhile. I do want to buy one for the safety aspects. I really need the real dope on this saw.
First a comment: Let me share my thoughts on the tool and the company policy. I don’t like the fact that they don’t have service center lined up. To me the warrantee has half the coverage/value that is stated because I have to do the repair. I know this is the same situation we face with the "fake" blue Oliver we have today (I own a wide belt of theirs) or the white Mini Max. That fact that I have to fix there defects. Doesn’t sound right to me and at 4 grand. I say it is your defect send out a service tec. One other thing. Although some say they have had good customer service with them. The company has a love it or leave tone, their way or the high way and they are very specific about their way. Yes, I know the knee jerk answer back is well if you don’t like it don’t buy it. That is not the route I want to go down with the statement. I just being straight with the statement and just want to gain as much insight as I can. Not ruffle feathers. Thanks.

I have read the many, many, great post on the Saw Stop in this forum. I have talked to their tec. dept. and the local seller of the machine. I have agreed with those who put a value on keeping digits. I also agree with those who say it is no excuse for good habits. I have good habits. I also agree that a riving knife is important integrated part of the safety equation. I also agree with the fact that it is well made in its particular by today’s saws. I am basically an old American Tool guy and yes high quality Euro goodies. I have a lot of blue green tools from Germany. I saw the Saw Stop when I was buying a Kapex and fiddled with the Saw Stop and said wow, I am surprised this shiny thing is nice, interesting. Now, basically, I want one.

I just sold a beautiful Oliver 232 and I have lined up the sale of my Powermatic 66 to a friend when and if I pull the trigger. I am a lowly wood worker and I just can’t afford to make a purchasing mistake.

I wonder if anyone has real insight into Saw Stops sustainablity as a going concern these days. I would not want to have an expensive orphan in my shop?

Also they are pushing their 3hp if single phase as the better motor to go with than the 5hp? I have heard it three times from two different sources, including tec. dept. Explanation that you are pushing it with a single phase 5hp. I don’t think Baldor, Lesson, or Marathon feel that way. The Oliver 24" wide belt is a 10hp single phase. Any insight into their thinking? I know about proper wire size and breaker.

What is the overall evaluation of false triggering of brake? Has it improved much over the years?

Also I live in the country and power blips are a way of life, especially during winter months. Will these surges set off the brake system?

I ask these question in all seriousness and humility. I want to buy it. Please "talk me down". Thanks and let me say you folks are the greatest. Thank you in advance Tony