Thread: Backwards hot water heater...and more...

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Backwards hot water heater...and more...

Hello all,

I know most everyone here is a woodworking expert, not a plumber, but I trust the wisdom of the Creek, so I'd like to solicit some advice from you:

Recently moved into a 7-yr-old house built by a "reputable" national builder (*cough* Richmond *cough*). I wasn't able to inspect it myself before purchasing, but did hire a reputable inspector, who found nothing wrong.

Upon moving in, I found the hot water heater to be located in a closet in the garage, and it's sitting in a shallow pan of stagnant water. It appears to be sitting on top of some cut off pieces of pipe (or something) so it's not actually touching the water. The pan has a drain attached at mid-level, and the water level is being maintained by a "dripper" attached to a plastic tube on the hot water outlet pipe.

Ok - what is this? I've never seen this on any water heater before. Why have it sitting in a pan of water?!

Just to make the story more interesting, the hot and cold water lines are also switched around - and the shutoff is on the hot side. Useful, huh?

Pictures attached. I just replaced the pressure/temperature relief valve (was leaking), so that's why there's water everywhere
    Attached Images Attached Images