3 years ago I had built a 30X30 foot shop beside my attached 2 car garage. I have tried spraying in the shop (tarps hung from ceiling/walls) but find it is too dark and dusty to work well. I also didn't like the overspray clean up even though I was using a cheapo HVLP system.

So I cast my eyes at my old shop. It still has a ventless gas heater and home made air cleaner in it. Since the shop has moved next door it sits empty except for lawn tools and my wife's car.

I asked my wife and she is ok with leaving her car out when I am finishing a project. I immediately went into design mode on how I could convert one bay of the garage into a spray booth that could be easily broken down and set back up. It was then I realized that I really don't know anything about spray booths and though I would ask.

I would plan on spraying only waterbased solutions, with the exception of sealcoats of shellac. I would get the garage warmed up with the heater and then turn it off while spraying and for several hours afterwards. Since the garage is insulated and surrounded on 3 sides by heated spaces, it doesn't cool off that quickly in the winter. As mentioned it has 2 bays, both with overhead garage doors. I have both 110V and 220V power in the garage. I also have 6 double tube 4 foot long flourescent lights in the garage.

I was thinking of making or buying curtains to cover the sides, doing something to cover the garage door and leaving one of the garage doors open by 6 inches spraying against that. That leaves me with the problem of ventilation.

Any suggestions/comments?

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to set this up.