Thread: Not too happy with cyclone

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Not too happy with cyclone

I'm not really sure installing a cyclone was the best idea for me. Actually I'm beginning to question the conventional wisdom that a cyclone is always better than a standard single stage collector.

I agree that a cyclone is the best choice when it has a filtered return back to the shop. However, if you are venting outside why use a cyclone?

Here is what has led me to this point of view. I installed a cyclone outside my shop under a shelter roof last fall. Due to a lack of time, I didn't install the return filter system in the shop and decided to just vent outside until I had more time. Although the outside venting does increase my heating bill, I tend to agree with the position that it is the best approach for the lungs.

I am happy with the suction side, but the collection side has some basis flaws. The main problem is how quickly the collection bin fills up as compared to a single stage unit. The collection bin of a cyclone has negative pressure, so the chips fill the bin at a low density, causing it to fill quickly. On the other hand, in a single stage system the collection bin is under positive pressure, packing the bin at a much higher density. I've even been known to use the collection bag as a punching bag while it is running to assist in a good tight pack.

A larger bin for the cyclone is not really the best fix.

So today I realized that if your collection system is outside and you are venting outside, a larger single stage system is probably a better application. I know one of the problems with single stage systems is the lost suction once the filter bags get dirty. I would think 30 or 50 micron bags would help there. (BTW, a little fine dust in the air outside is not a problem in my location.)

Am I missing something?

Perry
    Last edited by Rob Russell; 02-20-2009 at 10:02 AM. Reason: remove offer to sell