I'm seeking advice on the best way (stength-wise) to join two pieces
of wood end-to-end.

The LOML has asked me to replace the railing on the stairs in our house. It has seen better days and I have never like the fact the previous owners painted the wood a dark brown, especially when everything else in the house is cherry or maple. I thought it would be a one or two day project at first - construction is a simple 1" thick piece of wood that is 2.75" wide. But I measured and it's a 12 foot long single piece of wood and there are only two brackets holding it to the wall (each a foot or so from the top/bottom). I'd like to use cherry or figured maple but doubt I can find either of these woods in that length. So, I expect that I will need to join two sections of wood together. My question is what is the best way to join two or more pieces of wood together end-to-end so that I have a sturdy railing when complete, especially considering it will only be anchored near the top and bottom.

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Roger

PS - if anyone has built railings and would like to offer design tips or photos, I am open to suggestions.