Been a woodworker/finisher for a lot of years and I've always either brushed poly or sprayed it using an HVLP Wagner unit. Lately, I've been using BullsEye Clear Shellac, brushing, with good results. But in general, I've always had pretty good luck with the poly. Delt with the dried bumps from dust, since you generally do at least 3 coats, I just sand and by the 3rd coat, usually have a pretty slick, attractive, thick finish that I know is durable. Done mostly doors and some tables. Our dining room table was initally sprayed with Satin poly about 16 years ago and its still in great shape - you can't beat the poly's durability. Spraying chairs with poly was better than brushing for sure, just have to remember to do many very light coats.

I'd like to get comfortable with spraying lacquer for that hard clear finish when desired - clear poly gives red oak a bit of a golden hue. Sometimes I want that, and sometimes, I'd like not to have it. Tried spraying lacquer from a rattle can on a small flat unsealed maple project, only to get a bunch of fish-eyes and not so slick finish. Two coats later, it looks the same, and the fish eyes stayed. I can sand it down and give it another go, but what happened there? Puzzled? My main interest is panel doors. Would like to think I can do the doors without the fish eyes and matty looking finish. From what I've been reading on SawMill, sounds like a sander sealer coat first - might be the secret to getting the lacquer to land right and stay nice. I already have a gallon (old) of Parks clear lacquer. Have read here where cheap lacquer is crap and good lacquer is good. Don't know how this gal. of Parks stacks up on that scale.

I don't mind trying the WB lacquers, for obvious reasons. When I'd do poly, I set up the shop for the overspray and was very careful, making the job quick and neat. I've gotten to feel comfortable with it even with the odors (using a mask) and cleanup - but need to work on getting comfortable with doing lacquer.

Haven't used my Wagner gun for lacquer ever, might give it a go, but would like to hear from some of you veteran sprayers for some do's and don'ts. I've got two 6-panel R.Oak doors that I rubbed a light coat of BLO on about 10 days ago. I wanted to enhance the grain before doing the finish. They're pretty dry now, but I'll wait another 2 weeks before doing anything.

Any comments? Thanks.