Thread: Cherry Hope Chest W/Pics

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cherry Hope Chest W/Pics

About a year ago I started building a bedroom set for a friend of mine. It is consists of a <A HREF="http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=5192" TARGET="_blank">chest of drawers</A></EM></font>, an <A HREF="http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=5967" TARGET="_blank">end table</A></EM></font>, a head board that I haven’t posted here, and another side table of sorts that I also never posted here. Anyway, my friend just celebrated his 26th wedding anniversary and decided that a hope chest might be a nice way to fill a spot that they still had open in their bedroom. It just so happens that the Woodsmith plans that I was designing from had plans for a hope chest. With the go-ahead, I built this in two and a half weeks. They went to Florida for vacation to celebrate, and when they came back, her new gift was waiting for her.

Anyway, this isn’t my first love style-wise, but I continue to get a kick out of building these legs. I highly recommend giving them a shot if you’re building a project in this style. They make for a good combination of hand tools, power tools, and elbow grease.

The nickel hinges are from Horton Brass – best hinges around IMHO. The lid support is from Rocker and it closes on it’s own. Even my friends college age kids got a kick out of playing with this feature. I went this route because I wanted something that was nickel colored, unlike the brass chains. Turns out this was the best part of the project! And the lid won’t slam shut?! How cool is that?

The wood has a good deal of curl to it. The drawers were also made from curly soft maple that I had laying around. Alas, the dovetails were not cut by hand, but some day…. For now, me and the Leigh have a good working relationship.

My life has been pretty fast paced of late, so it's nice to finally post a project here again! It was a lot of fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images