Thread: Making plans to build a concrete bowl lathe - opinions welcome.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Making plans to build a concrete bowl lathe - opinions welcome.

My original intention was to have a friend help me fabricate a bowl lathe using some scrap steel he/we have laying around. I posted here a request for a spindle to use for the project. I got a lot of helpful responses and one of them mentioned using concrete as a base material...As it turns out I have extensive experience with precast concrete. It is an awesome building material.

That got me thinking and I sketched up my thoughts on paper.. I calculated the weight at almost 1000# with the motor and steel bed.

I plan on using a three horse three phase motor with variable speed control.

I still have not finalised the design of the headstock configuration, I wont until I have the spindle, pulley and motor in hand.

I planed on fabricating steel ways out of 3" or 4" square steel stock that will adjust vertically by bolting to some uni-strut embedded vertically into the concrete. The motor will also hang from embedded uni-strut.

I think if it is planned well with the uni-strut strategically located I would have a multitude of options for mounting up various fabricated tool rests.

What to consider??? I think the building of the concrete formwork will be a fun project in itself.

Any input is welcome.

I'm glad I found this site, there seems to be some real helpful, friendly and talented people her.. I think I'll hang around for a while.

Thanks in advance,
    Mark
    Last edited by Mark Norman; 03-07-2009 at 6:46 PM.