I was just reading the "Strip Built Kyak" thread and it inspired me to post this question. I have the mast off the first boat my dad built in my front yard as a flag pole. I usually refinish it every couple of years with a marine spar varnish. This past year I was thinking that perhaps I should think about fiberglassing it, for strength and durability. I worry about being gone and a sudden wind storm coming up. I don't want it to snap in half. I usually take the flag down when it blows hard.

So, now I expose my lack of knowledge..... I have never used fiberglass for anything other than structural integrity. This flagpole is a beautiful clear spruce that is about 75 years old. I don't want to botch this and ruin the look of this piece. So, what type of resin and glass would you recommend and what is the best application process? I am also concerned about how to stage it for finishing. If I lay it down horizontal I am afraid that I would glass in a permanent bend in it. It's about 25' tall, so I was thinking I could stage it vertically up against the house and work off ladders.

I am open to all ideas and suggestions. We do live in an area that gets some significant wind. My other hobby is weather and I have a weather station and web site: http://www.SkunkBayWeather.com . I center the flagpole on my webcam for a good perspective of the current conditions. I also have a spotlight on it at night so we can always see it. This is a VERY sentimental piece for me and I want to do it right.

Thank you in advance,
Greg