Thread: Workbench almost done

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Workbench almost done

I've been working on building Popular Woodworking's "24 Hour" workbench this week. The premise is that you can build the bench in a total of 24 hours of work. I've been trying to figure out for a year now what I wanted to build for a workbench. I've been afraid to spend the money a "real" bench would cost in case I didn't get it right. Finally, I decided this would be the way to go.

I started last Saturday picking up the lumber. Sunday I glued up the top. A few nights this week I spent a couple hours each machining parts and building the base. Yesterday I glued the banding on the top, and finished everything else today. All that's left is to apply finish. I figure I'll be right about at 24 hours when I'm done, not including cleaning up the mess. I'm also adding a couple of enhancements that I've seen in my other readings on the subject.

The top is 4 layers of 3/4" baltic birch banded with 2x SYP. The base is all SYP. The vises are Record's which I picked up at two different liquidation places over the past 2 years. It is very solid, but possibly a little light. I plan to build tool storage for underneath which should solve the weight issue. In all, I'll probably have about $200 in the bench.
    Attached Images Attached Images