Thread: Sharpening technique nightmare

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Sharpening technique nightmare

I don’t know what I am doing wrong. I am getting better at sharpening my planes and chisels. The edge is really sharp and I am able to plane maple, hard maple, etc. I got thin shavings out my LV LA BU Jack plane and I am extremely happy with it.

I am using the JP as my smoother and the wood is like silk, I love it but I always have a problem with ridges at the end. I researched how to avoid the ridges and tried to incorporate into my sharpening technique. I know if you have a blade with a straight edge you will have ridges so the goal is to have a crown type bevel so you are planing without the both blade corners.

Well, I saw a video from Fine Woodworking, read about David Charlesworth how to get the crown and some others. I tried it this weekend and I think I have to start from scratch again because I am getting more ridges than ever. I was putting more pressure on one side and then on the other, I also was rocking the blade with the help of my honing jig.

When I was working with the 1000 water stone (Norton) I was able to see the crown forming on my edge but the weird thing is I didn’t see it when I had a ruler behind the edge. See picture attached.
    I kept going with the 8000 water stone and I was able to see a crown on the shiny edge but not when I had a ruler behind the blade.

When I took the pictures I noticed the corners still there and they are more pronounced than before. What am I doing wrong?

Attached Images Attached Images