Thread: 1st time cabinets - should have posted before starting

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

1st time cabinets - should have posted before starting

Hey Creekers-a true newbie who has been reading a lot but then seems to be replicating newbie mistakes.

Anyway, I am building 1st set of cabinets - more like set of low bookshelves, with tabletop, then shelves or cabinets on top. While I wish i could have thought of this earlier, I hadn't provided for wood movement in my initial designs. But after perusing lots of posts I have figured out this is pretty important.

My problem is that while I would like to have the cabinet top fixed only at 1 rear position (to allow float towards the front with seasons), I am worried that w/o any lateral support closer to the mid section, the upper cabs will lack structural support.

So here is my idea:

1) general picture showing cabinet, and fixed walls etc.
    2) specific solution: fixed pocket screws on rear, just one set a few inches closer to front, and then figure 8 or more likely slot attachment for table top at midpoint of 12" deep countertop.

I am sure I am doing a horrible job of explaining. But if it makes any sense, please let me know if you think it might work!

Thanks All!

Tim Cleary
    Attached Files Attached Files